Find the answer to your Linux question:
I formatted a partition fat32 so I could read and write to it in both Linux and Windows and in fact it has worked. But I have lost some music ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Losing files on a vfat partion

I formatted a partition fat32 so I could read and write to it in both Linux and Windows and in fact it has worked. But I have lost some music files that I created using Sound Juicer, (ripping them from CDs). Does anyone know what causes this, better yet how to fix it?

I have FC-5 and use KDE.

Thanks,

royeo

I don't know about the cause or any fixes, but would like to suggest using ext2 as an alternative to vfat because of vfat's shortcomings. You can get Windows to read ext2 using fs-driver.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Just Joined!

Re: Missing files

Quote Originally Posted by Zelmo
    I don't know about the cause or any fixes, but would like to suggest using ext2 as an alternative to vfat because of vfat's shortcomings. You can get Windows to read ext2 using fs-driver.

That's a good idea. One of the things I really hate is not being able to at least see Linux files while in Windows. Unfortunately it doesn't apply to me. I just read the literature and it says for XP with x86 CPUs. I have an x86_64. Thanks anyway. Have you used that driver?

Roy O'Neill

Just Joined!
    Hi.
    I have same troubles.
    I saved several files in linux and windows scandisk at sturtup caused them to disapear!! She shred them! sigh
    Also I can see such linux saved files only in linux and windows dosnt see them!
    These problems didnt exist formerly! I dont know what is the reason and what is happened.
    Now I utilize my usb flashdisk for getting linux saved files in windows.

That ext2 driver for win did not work for me in the past.
    I will test it on this installation as soon as posible.

I've been using fs-driver ever since MythTV complained about not being able to write files larger than 4GB onto my fat partition. I haven't had any problems with it, but admittedly I don't use Windows enough to say that I've put fs-driver through the wringer as far as testing goes. I just gave it a whirl after converting my drive to ext2 (or was it ext3?), and make occasional use of it if I happen to be in Windows and need to read/write to that drive. But like I said, no issues thus far.

Someone else mentioned that it's only for x86 machines, and might not work if you're using x86_64, so if you have such a CPU then that might be worth verifying first.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Just Joined!
    I tested ext2 driver for windows now. I had its installer already on my hdd and dont know whether it is the last version yet or not.

a drive labled '/boot' is appeared in MyComputer.
    I could read & write to it successfully. its about 100MB large.
    but another drive which is appreared with no lable is recognized as RAW on file system filed. nothing exists to do with it. I can open it but nothing is displayed there. apparently raw means no FS!?

accessing to boot is a bit curious because '/boot' is ext3 according to fstab:
    /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3 defaults 1 1
    LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2

Just Joined!
    How can I change my ext3 drives to ext2?
    Isn't it a bit irrational? i mean disgrading FS.