Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi all, I am trying to connect to my Fedora Core 3 box from Windows XP Pro internally and I am failing miserably... I have configured the following files:- /etc/sysconfig/vncservers ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem with VNC configuration

Hi all,

I am trying to connect to my Fedora Core 3 box from Windows XP Pro internally and I am failing miserably... I have configured the following files:-

/etc/sysconfig/vncservers and added my username

and then edited my $HOME/.vnc/xstartup file

I restarted the vncserver service and I can see that it is running when I type

service vncserver status

I have also added port 5900 to the firewall (I have even tried it with the firewall disabled) but I am unable to connect - I get the error message:-

TightVNC "Falied to connect to server"

(When I type: service --status-all | grep Xvnc it says:-

Device not specified in /etc/sysconfig/diskdump
    Server address not specified in /etc/sysconfig/netdump)

Can anyone help me please? all I want to do is control it remotely!

Thanks

Linux User
    I think you too far in detph.

Really all I do is log into my Linux box as the user I want to log into from my windows box then type "vnserver" on the linux box.
    I get this:
    [root@ltfc5 ~]# vncserver

You will require a password to access your desktops.

Password:
    Verify:

New 'ltfc5:1 (root)' desktop is ltfc5:1

Creating default startup script /root/.vnc/xstartup
    Starting applications specified in /root/.vnc/xstartup
    Log file is /root/.vnc/ltfc5:1.log ltfc5:1

Go to my windows box start up a vnc client session for the server name I type ltfc5:1, look above to see where this name is from, also it is my server name with a colon and the session number which is "1" at this time. I can have several sessions going at time.

So everthing you did I have no idea why.
    One question you do have a VNC client on the Windows box, correct?

Just Joined!

Still not working

Hi - thanks for the reply, unfortunately I have tried all of this... it still fails to connect. I am getting some strange results in the log file though which I have tried to Google but have not found anything to explain it, here are some of the errors I am seeing:

error opening security policy file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
    Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/, removing from list!
    Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing from list!
    Agent pid 3665
    startkde: Starting up...
    kbuildsycoca running...
    DCOP Cleaning up dead connections.
    Server has no DPMS extension
    Xlib: extension "XFree86-Misc" missing on display "Hostname:1.0".
    server does not have extension for "r rate" option
    QClipboard::setData: Cannot set X11 selection owner for PRIMARY
    QClipboard::setData: Cannot set X11 selection owner for CLIPBOARD
    /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:90: GtkDeprecationWarning: gtk.mainloop is deprecated, use gtk.main instead
    self.warn(message, DeprecationWarning)
    Xlib: extension "XFree86-Misc" missing on display "Hostname:1.0".
    X Error: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied) 10
    Major opcode: 2
    Minor opcode: 0
    Resource id: 0x40000b

Linux User
    Ok, I just installed "TightVNC" and connected to my RHEL 4 server and my Fedora 5 server with no problems from my Windows XP home box.
    I did no configuration on my Linux boxes just loaded the client on my windows box.

Lets start from the beginning.
    On your linux box do a ps -elf|grep vnc and pst the output. you should have something like this:

[root@linux4 log]# ps -elf |grep vnc
    4 S root 22521 1 17 75 0 - 3057 select 10:41 pts/2 00:00:01 Xvnc:1 -desktop linux4:1 (root) -httpd /usr/share/vnc/classes -auth /root/.Xauthority -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16 -rfbwait 30000 -rfbauth /root/.vnc/passwd -rfbpot 5901 -pn

0 S root 22525 1 0 76 0 - 1154 select 10:41 pts/2 00:00:00 vncc
    nfig -iconic

0 S root 22560 21562 0 75 0 - 1296 pipe_w 10:41 pts/2 00:00:00 grep vnc

Can you ping from your Windows box to your Linux box? And vise-a-versa?

Just Joined!

No joy

I have tried that and it tells me that is is all installed ok... I have Samba running on this box and vsftpd and the both run fine and are accessible to the windows box no problem, its just VNC which refuses to work, I think I am going to upgrade it to FC5 as looking at the errors in the log I think it might be to do with package dependancies.

Linux User
    Ok.

Hi Dan0 and welcome. I seriously doubt your problem has anything to do with dependencies. I agree with Skilboy in that it sounds as if you are making this harder than it really is. I regularly vnc from windows to Linux having done exactly the same thing as Skilboy has suggested you do. Why not try the good advice he is giving you before you go to all the trouble of a new install?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!

Hi Dapper Dan, I have tried everything suggested by Skiboy... and it is unfortunately not working so I am totally stumped... it has really got me confused! I am convinced that the errors I am seeing in the log file (further down the post) are what is preventing me from connecting - it is also strange that I have got everything else working without a problem (SSH, Samba, FTP).

Got me beat!

What is the address of the Linux vnc server and what address are you trying to connect to it with from the Windows machine? Please post it exactly as you type it into the vncviewer.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!

Working!

I have managed to get it working... but I am not quite sure how! I tried and it popped up and asked me for the session password from the viewer, I set that as the user I wanted to connect as on my Linux box and it let me straight on!!! Thanks for all of you help guys! much appreciated...!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast