Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently upgraded from FC4 to FC5. I have Windows XP installed on my primary drive HDA and FC5 on my secondary HDD. The install for FC5 went smoothly until ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual Boot GRUB Help

I recently upgraded from FC4 to FC5. I have Windows XP installed on my primary drive HDA and FC5 on my secondary HDD. The install for FC5 went smoothly until I rebooted and was dumped to the grub> command line with no idea what to do. The GNU GRUB version is 0.97.
    I tried the following commands (having never done this before)
    root (hd1,0)
    setup (hd1,0)
    boot

The whole system crashes with a mess of nasty Kernel panic errors. So I went into the bios and set the first boot drive to HDA (Windows). After the next reboot it takes me to the GRUB menu screen, from which I can choose either XP or FC5. If I choose FC5 I get the following error -

Booting 'Fedora Core (2.6.15-1.2056_FC5)'
    root (hd1,0) Filesystem type unkown, Partition type 0x7
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.2056_FC5 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgh quiet
    Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition.

Every help site I have browsed for GRUB does not even tell me the basic commands to boot into Linux, I feel this is a relatively simple error, but I am unable to boot into either Windows or Linux!

Linux User
    Try reading the info on this site:
    http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux...w2k-HOWTO.html

bottom line it looks like you need to rebuild the grub. Not too difficult but not easy. Take you time and read and under stand everything.

Also you may want to see if you can boot up into recuse mode if possible.

Good Luck,
    Ski

Just Joined!

Cool

I have almost the exact same problem.

If I tell the bios to boot from the second Hd wich has linux fc5 on it, grub goes thru to the same error.

A tempory fix. whilst grub is counting down (or as soon as you see grub) hit the any key. You will now have a choose ("other" if the fc5 installer detected windows) fedora. Select (highlight) fedora and as per the instructions on the bottom of the screen hit the e key. This should display two lines, change the h1,0 to h0,0 Now hit the b key, this should start linux.

Have a couple of other thigs to investigate (time permitting) but this should at least get you started.

P.S. in other try changing h0,0 to h1,0 this may work to start windows

best regards

hi morrgainne
    A tempory fix. whilst grub is counting down (or as soon as you see grub) hit the any key. You will now have a choose ("other" if the fc5 installer detected windows) fedora. Select (highlight) fedora and as per the instructions on the bottom of the screen hit the e key. This should display two lines, change the h1,0 to h0,0 Now hit the b key, this should start linux.
    I recently upgraded from FC4 to FC5. I have Windows XP installed on my primary drive HDA and FC5 on my secondary HDD
    but he said that he has linux on (hd1,0)thats hdb and windows on (hd0,0)thats hda
    try with this:

Code:
    title Fedora Core 5 (2.6.15-1.2054_FC5)
    root (hd1,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
    initrd /initrd-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.img
    or this

Code:
    title Fedora Core 5 (2.6.15-1.2054_FC5)
    root (hd1,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgh quiet
    initrd /initrd-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.img
    i hope it helps

Just Joined!

Red face

Hi jan1024188

I think the critical point here is that the bios has been reset to boot from the second harddrive. The bios is now rediecting the harddrives regardless of which IDE chanel the drive is actually connected to (this is only an educated guess, maybe some hardware expert can tell us what is actually happening)

On my system I change the line "root (hd1,0)" to "root (hd0,0)" (hit the enter key to return to the script) and then press the b key and my system will start fc5

regards M