Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've recently installed Fedora Core 5, and it's my first linux os. It hasn't been too bad so far except I'm having trouble with the .tar.gz files and .zips. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New Fedora User - Need Help

I've recently installed Fedora Core 5, and it's my first linux os. It hasn't been too bad so far except I'm having trouble with the .tar.gz files and .zips. I read the instruction page on how to compile and what not but I'm still having trouble at the /configure part. I was wondering if I can use yum for these files and if so - how? I used that FAQ page to setup yum but I'm really not sure how to use it. It'd be really helpful if I can get this down because I need to install flash player and java and a few other things. I'd like to be able to view videos and what not in mozilla. Also, I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone can give me a little briefing on the whole .mp3 and .mpeg situation, I don't know where or how to enable use of those. Thanks.

Just Joined!
    Use this guide for multimedia codecs and whatever else: http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Fedora_fc5

for compiling from source, make sure you have gcc installed (howto for it is in the link above)

Just Joined!
    make sure you can connect to the internet,then
    try this :
    $ yum update
    or
    $ yum update gcc
    $ yum update mplayer
    and so on

Just Joined!
    Thanks, I appreciate the help. Only thing I'm still having trouble with is installing java. Any ideas why?

hi !

check this article on FC5 Customization and Software installation.....

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First