Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey I have a compaq presario M2007US where I have installed Linux Fedora Core5 but Im having problems activating my wireless card, can some one help me? My wireless card ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question help with Wireless Card

Hey I have a compaq presario M2007US where I have installed Linux Fedora Core5 but Im having problems activating my wireless card, can some one help me?

My wireless card is an Intel Pro (R) wireless 2200 BG network adapter and I have downloaded and install the dirvers, but cant seem to turn it on to conect to the network.

Hi The_Wild_Thing_MX and welcome!

What steps have you taken to install the driver? Did the compile of the tarball go without errors? After compiling, did you do the modprobe command?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Well Im completly new to linux, So what I did was download the drivers directly from Intel and doble click on some files, thats all what I did

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I just did some reading on this driver and it appears you must recompile your kernel to get it going. There is also some mention that the driver for it might already be present in the latest 2.6 kernels. Did Kudzu try to configure this device for you at start up? When you look in system-config-network under the hardware tab, does it show a driver for it listed there?

Just Joined!
    Sorry took so long, well in the tab it appears, but when I click on new it dosent appear on the list of drivers to choose.

And the first drivers I tried to install it made it recognize it like a ethernet card, instead of a wireless card, but with the drivers I got direct from Intel made it recognize like a wireless card.

Hope you can help me
    Thanks

I've had this same problem with RH based distros. For whatever reason, system-config-network gets confused and recognizes wireless cards as ethernet cards sometimes. So when you try to configure a new wireless connection, it won't give you the choice of the driver you installed from Intel? Check:
    Code:
    /sbin/lsmod
    ...and make sure the proper module is loaded. It's possible the original module already present is being loaded alongside the new module (or driver) from Intel which can present problems. Also do:
    Code:
    gedit /etc/modules.conf
    ...and see if your wireless driver is set to be loaded during boot.

Just Joined!
    Ok, remember Im a complete newbie to Linux, but right now, dont know how I did it I supposvely is install like a wireless, and it seems that I cant turn it on with the button I have in the laptop.

The to do those commands you tell me to put is in the console (cant remember the name, but its the system code for linux, like MS-DOS for windows) and im using right now windows to conect to the internet cause im still trying to learn linux, even trying to learn how to install a program

and thanks for taking the time to help me.