Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to set up a server and I want to block all traffic except SSH and ICMP. How will my iptable-file look like in my case. I also want ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Firewall in Fedora

I'm trying to set up a server and I want to block all traffic except SSH and ICMP. How will my iptable-file look like in my case. I also want to shutdown all ports except SSH. I'm a real beginner in Linux so keep it simple please. Thanks.

Use the firewall tool that comes with the system, it'll let you turn off all access and enable only the ports you specify. SSH is definitely in the list, I believe ICMP is there too - if not, you can add the port manually.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff
    Use the firewall tool that comes with the system, it'll let you turn off all access and enable only the ports you specify. SSH is definitely in the list, I believe ICMP is there too - if not, you can add the port manually.
    yeah but witch port does icmp run over? it's in the ip-packet so it doesent run over a specifiec port. and i have tried to do it with the firewall tool but it still lets surten tcp-traffic trough.