Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am returning to linux after experimenting with fc2 & fc3. I have been able to load and operate two "Windows" programs using WINE, which are now running on my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cool Anyone recommend a backup utillity

I am returning to linux after experimenting with fc2 & fc3.

I have been able to load and operate two "Windows" programs using WINE, which are now running on my main machine.

I have a seperate test system which is a 2.8gig celerion and 512 meg of 133meh sdram with a 10 gig hard drive. Due to my experimentation I have had to completly reinstall fc5 on this machine 3 times.

What Iam looking for is a back up utility that will allow me to boot from a cd drive and write a working copy of a fresh install back onto the same setup after I have destablised the system, thus returning the system to the same as a fresh install.

all suggestions will be gratfully recieved

regards M

oz
    forum.guy
    You should be able to get what you want with imaging software, such as PartImage, Norton Ghost, or Acronis TrueImage.

Ghost and TrueImage would have to be run from the CD (unless you dual boot with Windows), but PartImage is Linux software that can be installed to the hard drive. With any of these apps, you simply create an image of your existing Linux partitions. If something goes wrong with your system, you simply restore the image to get right back to where you were. It takes me about 4 or 5 minutes to restore my own Linux partitions.
    oz

Just Joined!

Smile

Hi ozar

Many thanks for the suggestions, will investigate the PartImage software and let you know how I go with it.

regards M