Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I am fairly new to Linux, and somehow manage to mess something up often. I have spent hundreds of hours trying installing, testing, reinstalling over half a dozen distros. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Moved /bin, nothing works.

So I am fairly new to Linux, and somehow manage to mess something up often. I have spent hundreds of hours trying installing, testing, reinstalling over half a dozen distros.

Usually when I screw up it is only after a few hours of work and I really don't mind too much doing it again and just count it as learning experiance, but this time is different. (it is alot more learning experiance than I want...)

I installed Fedora 5 x86_64 on my machine, it took several tries and finally I got it, after 20 hours straight working on it yesterday I screwed it up. I don't want to go through that again as I was just starting to get it how I wanted and was liking what I was seeing, so howd I mess up?

I moved /bin somehow, after this I couldn't get any of the commands to work to move them back, go figure. I couldn't get new konsole windows open even. I reboot and try Knoppix live (regular boot fails, of course), knoppix won't mount the main partition giving an error something like. "I can not determine file system and none was specified." <linux rescue> won't work giving an error can't find /bin/sh I think. :/

So is there anyway of fixing this with less than 15-20 hours work? ;- p

Sounds pretty serious if mount can't tell what kind of filesystem
    it is. More than just moving /bin. You could try specifying the
    filesystem type when you try mounting it. How far does it get
    when you try to boot it?

Linux Newbie
    find /bin and move it back using a liveCD or similar....if you cant then it is a do over!

do another install on another machine and then copy /bin to the missing location...

Just Joined!
    [Other stuff.... ;- )

INIT: version 2.86 booting
    INIT: cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc/sysinit"
    INIT: Entering runlevel: 5
    INIT: cannot execute "etc/rc.d/rc"
    INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
    INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
    INIT: Id "3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
    INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
    INIT: Id "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
    INIT: Id "5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
    INIT: Id "6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
    INIT: no more processesleft in this runlevel]

That is the End. :/

Linux Newbie
    OOOhhh so a liveCD wont mount the partition either? Did you try to reboot without /bin if so then that probably fubar'd everything and it is a do over...

Just Joined!
    Ah well, guess I will just do it again *sigh* the most time consuming part was when it updated the kernel, is there anyway to make this faster? It took a few hours, 388 downloads... >.<

Thanks everyone. ;- )