Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, here is the thing, I have a windows and a Fedora core 2 partition on my hard drive and I cant figure out how to get my Dialup internet ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Internet connections

Ok, here is the thing, I have a windows and a Fedora core 2 partition on my hard drive and I cant figure out how to get my Dialup internet connection to work on linux. I have it workin on windows(obviously or I wouldnt be here now) and I dont want to constantly be swiching back and forth between Linux and windows. Plus, linux is much better protected, considering viruses are usually made for windows. So the problem is that I really dont know ANYTHING about Linux, and when I set up the internet connection it dosnt recognize the modem. I know what you are thinking: well this is obvious, he has a win modem, but I dont. It is an external modem. So what do I do to install the modem(or what ever it is that I do). Do I get a driver or something?I dont really know what it is that linux uses for this kind of thing. Your help is GREATLY APPRECIATED. thank you for you time.

Hi Van Halen Man and welcome!

What is the make and model of your external modem? Is is USB or serial? Have you tried configuring it with the kppp dialer? It may or may not be in your menu depending on what you installed from the outset. If it IS there, it's pretty easy to configure and set up. if it isn't there, you may want to consider using wvdial, a command line dialer that's pretty easy to use. Most external serial modems work perfectly with Linux. The USB ones often provide difficulty. Tell us what you have and let's go from there...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Quote Originally Posted by Van Halen Man
    Ok, here is the thing, I have a windows and a Fedora core 2 partition on my hard drive and I cant figure out how to get my Dialup internet connection to work on linux. I have it workin on windows(obviously or I wouldnt be here now) and I dont want to constantly be swiching back and forth between Linux and windows. Plus, linux is much better protected, considering viruses are usually made for windows. So the problem is that I really dont know ANYTHING about Linux, and when I set up the internet connection it dosnt recognize the modem. I know what you are thinking: well this is obvious, he has a win modem, but I dont. It is an external modem. So what do I do to install the modem(or what ever it is that I do). Do I get a driver or something?I dont really know what it is that linux uses for this kind of thing. Your help is GREATLY APPRECIATED. thank you for you time.

Hi Van Halen Man,
    First of all, what kind of modem is it? what brand name? is it a USB external modem?
    Here is a link to get you started, but it might be a little outdated.
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO-2.html#ss2.4
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Ok, It is a serial modem, and it is made by sportster. The model is28,800 fax modem. And I am using fc 2 so does the wvdial come with fc2? and yes I tried to use the KPPP thing, but when I try to query the modem it says it cant.(I dont remember the EXACT words). Thank you SO MUCH for helping me.

Sorry about that techiemoe(same question in 2 diff placed). It is just that I posted one of them in the hardware insatllation, then I thought dangit, it probably would have been better to post it in the fodora core/ red hat thing.
    So anyways, can anyone help me now that I posted the Modem manufacturer and model name? And I am usin fc 2.

Will someone PLEASE HELP me? I am begging you guys. It would mean the world to me if someone would just help me get my modem working. PLEASE.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Halen Man
    Will someone PLEASE HELP me? I am begging you guys. It would mean the world to me if someone would just help me get my modem working. PLEASE.
    Hey Van Halen Man,
    I don't have any experience with a serial modem, so my help will be limited.
    Here is a website I found, that will definetly get you started.
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Serial-HOWTO.html
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

THANK YOU SOO MUCH. I GREATLY appreciate this I will take a look at this site. Again Thank you I will surly put you on my buddy list or what ever it is called.