Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Guys, I have two identical servers (hermes & mercury) running Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS 4, one of the boxes (hermes) will automatically mount my Maxtor OneTouch III 500Gb ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

External USB 2.0 Hard Drive Woes

Hi Guys,
    I have two identical servers (hermes & mercury) running Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS 4, one of the boxes (hermes) will automatically mount my Maxtor OneTouch III 500Gb External Hard drive when it is plugged in. The other however, will not.

When I plug in the drive on mercury, I get the following output from "tail -f /var/log/messages":
    Code:
    Sep  4 12:11:07 mercury kernel: usb 1-6: new high speed USB device using address  4
    Sep  4 12:11:07 mercury kernel: scsi5 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devi ces
    Sep  4 12:11:23 mercury hal.hotplug[5321]: timout(10000 ms) waiting for /devices /pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb1/1-6/1-6:1.0
    Sep  4 12:11:43 mercury kernel: scsi: Device offlined - not ready after error recovery: host 5 channel 0 id 0 lun 0
    Sep  4 12:11:43 mercury hald[3156]: Timed out waiting for hotplug event 507. Rebasing to 508
    Sep  4 12:11:45 mercury hald[3156]: Timed out waiting for hotplug event 509. Rebasing to 507
    I have modprobed usb-storage, usb-uhci and usbcore, as I did with the other box, and installed the ntfs rpm from www.linux-ntfs.org (the HD is formatted as NTFS).

Any ideas of what could be going wrong, seems like a problem with HAL to me?
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Jim

Hi !!!

server is not recognizing USB. i think kernel version is mismatched. is kernel version same in both servers?

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    I will find out, the working one is definitely running 2.6.9-42.EL.i686-smp. They both have the standard kernel, SMP, and hugemem kernel's installed, but are using the SMP version.

Let me check the version on the box I'm not able to mount with.

Jim

[edit]
    Yeah here is the output from 'uname -a' for each box:

* Working box:
    Code:
    [root@hermes ~]# uname -a
    Linux hermes.ics.icsltd-uk.com 2.6.9-42.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Jul 12 23:27:17 EDT 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
    * Busted box:
    Code:
    [root@mercury ~]# uname -a
    Linux mercury.ics.icsltd-uk.com 2.6.9-42.0.2.ELsmp #1 SMP Thu Aug 17 18:00:32 EDT 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
    So yeah, the one that isn't working has a slightly newer version of the kernel installed. Which is strange as they have both been update from RHN today, and so should have the same setup exactly.

Just Joined!
    Did you manage to get a solution to this? Just that I am having the same problem. We are using a usb hard drive to run some backups and when trying to get the drive to automount it won't. In the log appears the same messages as you have had above. Was it just a case of updating the machine?

Maybe someone else might be able to help?