Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
I'm new to Linux. Very new. I at one point had RedHat 7 discs and ran it on an old 300mhz computer once or twice. My interest in Linux was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Installation Issues with Fedora 6

I'm new to Linux. Very new. I at one point had RedHat 7 discs and ran it on an old 300mhz computer once or twice.

My interest in Linux was sparked again when I came across Fedora....I downloaded the Fedora 6 x86_64 DVD image, and burnt an installation boot disc....

Next, I ran the installer...

When it searched for previous installations of Fedora, it gave me "could not find *insert directory here*" messages...4 or 5 of them. I cancelled out of each of them, and was presented with the option of where to put Fedora.

I chose to use my 40gb slave hard disk. I had it remove all partitions and create the default layout.

The installation ran through in what seemed to be an ok manner.....

To test the installation I went into my BIOS and disabled the master harddrive (Windows XP boots off of it), and this left the slave drive as the only drive available.......

"Error Loading Operating System" was the error I received. I checked the disk under windows, and it is a RAW file system. Inaccessible by Windows.

Did my installation do something wrong? Or is the issue present because of me trying to load Fedora off of a Slave drive?

Thanks.

PS: I'm currently downloading a Fedora 5 image to burn and try.

If all else fails, my next stop is Gentoo!.

Are you trying to install FC6 onto an old 300mhz computer? Likely won't work.
    Did you know you downloaded 64bit ISO? Is your PC 64 bit?

Error Loading Operating System
    Did you install grub to the master boot record? If so, disabling the master will disable grub too.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Ohh no no no no. Hahahaha. The last time I used that 300mhz pc, it was State-of-the-Art.

Right now I am on an AMD64 3800+ w/ 1024 RAM, an two harddrives: Master= 120gb UDMA w/ an NTFS partition for XP, and a Slave = 40gb ata133 HD that I want to run Fedora on

What is Grub? Perhaps this is my issue. heh. Fedora never did anything to my Master harddrive. I put the partition on the slave disk.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan
    Ohh no no no no. Hahahaha. The last time I used that 300mhz pc, it was State-of-the-Art.

Right now I am on an AMD64 3800+ w/ 1024 RAM, an two harddrives: Master= 120gb UDMA w/ an NTFS partition for XP, and a Slave = 40gb ata133 HD that I want to run Fedora on

What is Grub? Perhaps this is my issue. heh. Fedora never did anything to my Master harddrive. I put the partition on the slave disk.

Thanks!
    Grub is a bootloader, that will allow you to dual boot with Windows installed along with Linux.
    I realize you put everything on the slave, but did you change any settings related to grub, or lilo during the install? Have you booted from the master? and didnt see any boot menu?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

If the master disk is enabled, it just fires up Windows right away. I know there was a way to do a boot menu, because I at one point had it tell me I had two copies of Windows XP installed, and i could pick either or...but they were in reality, the same one....

hmm

Ideas?

Thanks!

Yeah you could re-install the whole thing and save yourself the headache, or you could manually re-install grub by booting into rescuemode from the 1st CD. I'll include a link for you to check out here.http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/red...b+%2Fdev%2Fhda
    read the 3rd post from devils_casper.
    Basically just enable the WinXP drive as master, edit the grub as described by devils_casper and reboot.

ah Thanks a bunch.

When I have some free time I will try that. Probably tomorrow after I am in from class. Dont want to fry my computer before I finish my Java program
    -_- lol.

I appreciate the help.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob
    Yeah you could re-install the whole thing and save yourself the headache, or you could manually re-install grub by booting into rescuemode from the 1st CD. I'll include a link for you to check out here.http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/red...b+%2Fdev%2Fhda
    read the 3rd post from devils_casper.
    Basically just enable the WinXP drive as master, edit the grub as described by devils_casper and reboot.

this is my first post in linuxforums and i am really happy to say "thank you very much MikeTbob for directing to devil_casper's post." it worked like a charm.
    thanx !

catch 22

first post - ignore...

This is my first post. Just running a test so ingnore please. If you are still chosing to read this I am running a 2.8 celeron 2 gig RAM and fedora core 4. I use this as a desktop at work for the last year. ( BYE BYE windows.... ok wait dont go yet... you have to run my BF2 and Half-life/Counterstrike.... you will live on my slave drive and boot when I tell you too!!!! Live in the dungeon windows!! ) Yes I run a dual boot and have W2K run my games.

Thanks for letting me post. I promise better questions in the future!

Alan

And don't forget to shout-out for devils_casper too!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast