Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I know this seems trivial, but I'm having a difficult time installing firefox for Red Hat Linux, and I can't seem to figure it out from the previous forum postings. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Properly Install Firefox

I know this seems trivial, but I'm having a difficult time installing firefox for Red Hat Linux, and I can't seem to figure it out from the previous forum postings.

When I go to the mozilla website, I download the latest Linux release of firefox (1.5.7). When I untar the tgz file, I do not get an RPM but instead a firefox folder that has all of the binaries and libraries lumped together. I know this isn't best *nix convention.

Can anyone enlighten me on the proper way to do this?

Thanks,
    j0rd4n

Which Linux are you using? FC5?
    When I untar the tgz file, I do not get an RPM but instead a firefox folder that has all of the binaries and libraries lumped together.
    there should be an INSTALL file for you to read in that directory.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    I'm embarrassed to admit I don't know which version I'm using (my admin gave me the latest version compatible with our software). Is there a command line command I can run to get that information. When I check the firefox install directory, I have a readme.txt file that says I need to go to http://getfirefox.com/releases for install information. When I go to that link, I don't get much information. Mozilla's website says to simply extract the tarbal to get the application folder.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    at the command line type:

uname -a

that will at least give your kernel version
    All Empires rise and fall. The Microsoft Empire has already risen, only one way to go now...

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by easuter
    at the command line type:

uname -a

that will at least give your kernel version
    In that case, I get 2.4.21-40.ELsmp. How do I determine which version of distribution I have? I have an x-server running so I can use that too if need be.

hI !

double click on firefox binary file in 'firefox' folder.... see if firefox window pops up....
    you dont have to configure or make anything for firefox. its pre-configured... just double click on 'firefox' file.........

if it works then create a symlink(shortcut) on Desktop for firefox...

ln -sf <path of firefox file> /home/user_name/Desktop/FireFox

.... casper ....
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

you're probably using RedHat Enterprise Linux (RHEL)

just follow what casper said, but you should be able to install firefox without having to manualy download it. are you using a business computer?
    All Empires rise and fall. The Microsoft Empire has already risen, only one way to go now...

Just Joined!
    Yes, it is a business computer, but the Linux partition is mine to experiment with.

Yes, I can get firefox to run properly, however, it was my understanding that normally linux applications are spread out into different directories (binaries in one place, libraries in another, etc.). Where should I put firefox? Just leave it as is?

HI !!

Where should I put firefox? Just leave it as is?
    you can keep it as it is.... if you ask me where i store these kinda softwares ... ? i created a separate folder in my home folder. all extracted packages and new versions are stored in that.

there are a few packages which comes preconfigured... firefox is one of them... you dont have to do anything. extract, create symlink and use......

.... casper ....
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    HI !!

you can keep it as it is.... if you ask me where i store these kinda softwares ... ? i created a separate folder in my home folder. all extracted packages and new versions are stored in that.

there are a few packages which comes preconfigured... firefox is one of them... you dont have to do anything. extract, create symlink and use......

.... casper ....
    Okay, this at least gives me a peace of mind. Would /usr/share/apps be a bad place?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast