Find the answer to your Linux question:
Has anyone written/found a tool to display all processes ranked by Disk I/O usage? I am surprised to not find one after quite a bit of searching. I am spoiled ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Is there a Monitor to show processes using Disk IO

Has anyone written/found a tool to display all processes ranked by Disk I/O usage?

I am surprised to not find one after quite a bit of searching.

I am spoiled in remembering that HPUX's Glance can do that. And Win/XP Task Manager can add the metrics I/O Read Bytes and I/O Write Bytes.

I'm not trying to compare, I think Linux is great... just trying to give some detail.

Rough total by ALL I/O summary would be fine, and broken down by Device or FS would be even better.

Anyone?

Thanks.

There are quite a few of this kind of thing available with gDesklets and Karamba. These sit on the desktop, rather that being a stand-alone application.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    As I am monitoring Linux *servers* ....I was thinking of something more for doing scripting with....(like a ps for cpu and memory sizes) (or sar for overall system cpu) so I can (for example) create a top 5 or 10 list of I/O processes running on my *servers*.

The display of which is available from all kinds of "list widgets" to "dynamic web content" etc...

Thank you however, for the desktop information.

Anyone know about a simple text based I/O monitor?

Just Joined!
    Look into lsof or nmon