Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have FC-5 and use KDE. I don't have any experience with IM'ing. I have just installed Yahoo Messenger in my Linux system. I have Yahoo Messenger installed also in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to use Yahoo! Messenger

I have FC-5 and use KDE.

I don't have any experience with IM'ing. I have just installed Yahoo Messenger in my Linux system. I have Yahoo Messenger installed also in my Windows system. The only real experience I have with Yahoo Messenger is with the Windows version. In that version it allows you to go to chat rooms. Does the Linux version allow you to do that? I know that going to a chat room is not the same as IM'ing. Since I've never IM'ed if anybody can shed some light on that I'd appreciate that too.

Thanks,

royeo

Well, what exactly would you like to know? This might be a good place to start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant_Messaging

I can not say whether the Linux version will allow you to join the chatrooms but AFAIK the chat room feature is relatively new and the Linux verison of Yahoo IM is relatively old.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!

Problems with Yahoo Messenger

I am having problems with Yahoo Msgr. I am running Red Hat Enterprise 3 and yahoo supports only Red Hat 9 and they say it works for Intel Chip sets. My machine has AMD in it.

Did anyone have success running Yahoo on Enterprise? Please help...

Quote Originally Posted by cad_slvr
    I am having problems with Yahoo Msgr. I am running Red Hat Enterprise 3 and yahoo supports only Red Hat 9 and they say it works for Intel Chip sets. My machine has AMD in it.
    The Redhat 9 RPM file provided by Yahoo will work on your Redhat Enterprise box. The architecture is irrelevent. AMD uses Intel-compatible designs for their chips. They're all based on the X86 architecture (286/386/486/586/686).

Did anyone have success running Yahoo on Enterprise? Please help...
    I would recommend you not use the official Yahoo Messenger client for Linux because it's incredibly out of date. Instead use a newer Linux instant messaging client that supports the Yahoo protocol, such as GAIM. It might already be installed on your Redhat Enterprise system. Look for the "Instant Messaging" application in your menus.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Gaim is already installed on my machine. But I couldn't run Yahoo on it. It just freezes on the machine.

Let me try right now...

After 10min, it said: "Unable to connect"

I've attached a screenshot of the settings and account information. Let me know if I have to tweak any of that.

Thank you for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by cad_slvr
    Gaim is already installed on my machine. But I couldn't run Yahoo on it. It just freezes on the machine.

Let me try right now...

After 10min, it said: "Unable to connect"

I've attached a screenshot of the settings and account information. Let me know if I have to tweak any of that.

Thank you for the help.
    I don't see a screenshot. Is your machine behind a firewall? I know at work I have to change the default port number in order to be able to log into Yahoo and AIM. Try changing the port to 23. Most places don't block that port.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    This is what my account settings say in Gaim:

Protocol: Yahoo
    Pager Host: scs.msg.yahoo.com
    Japan Pager Host: cs.yahoo.co.jp
    Pager Port: 5050
    File Transfer Host: filetransfer.msg.yahoo.com
    Japan File Transfer Host: filetransfer.msg.yahoo.co.jp
    File Transfer Port: 23 (I changed it to 23 after ur suggestion, I think it was 50 before)
    Chat Room Locale: us

Proxy Options:
    Proxy Type: Use Global Proxy Settings

Try changing the Pager port to 23 as well.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    It didn't help. Same problem again.