Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have installed Fedora 6 and have VNC server working fine when logged in to the desktop from the initial login screen. Using SSH I can reboot the server but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Access by VNC on reboot

I have installed Fedora 6 and have VNC server working fine when logged in to the desktop from the initial login screen. Using SSH I can reboot the server but am refused VNC connection until I go to the machine and login to the desktop at which time I can then connect using VNCviewer.

What configuration must I do to enable a VNCviewer connection upon remote reboot - the server located at a remote location and accessed over tcp?

You need to configure the VNC server service. You do this by editing /etc/sysconfig/vncservers and defining which servers you want running (you can have more than one - they exist as a desktop independent to the main login screen).

Once you've done that, you need to make sure that each user who has a vncserver setup for them runs vncpasswd, and sets up a .vnc directory inside their home directory. In the new directory, create a file called xstartup, which contains a line which starts off their chosen desktop system (e.g. 'startkde' or 'gnome-session'). Make that file executable.

Add the VNC server service to your bootup runlevel with 'system-config-services', or use 'chkconfig'. You can start the service manually with 'service vncserver start'. If any users haven't set a password then their desktop will fail to start, and if they've not got a xstartup file to start their desktop, they'll be presented with a blank X session.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    I am facing the same problem.

I am using RHLE AS 3.
    I dont find the directory vncservers under /etc/sysconfig

Also, how can start the VNC at the boot time ? which runlevel i need to call what script ?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You need to install the 'vncserver' package, get it from your package manager (up2date?). Then follow the instructions in my previous post.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/