Find the answer to your Linux question:
It's a standard install on basic beige box hardware, nothing exotic. I select only the "Web Server" option for the software selection without going further on to "customize selection". I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fresh FC6 install hangs at sendmail... then at yum-updated... then at atd...

It's a standard install on basic beige box hardware, nothing exotic.

I select only the "Web Server" option for the software selection without going further on to "customize selection".

I manually enter the Hostname, IP Address, DNS servers and default gateway info.

The server has one single 80GB (72-ish, really) disk dedicated solely to Fedora - no dual boot crap.

The disk is partitioned using LVM into the following:
    / 2048
    swap 1024
    /usr 8192
    /usr/local 4096
    /var 32768
    /home 16384
    /tmp 11648

The system will remain disconnected from the network until I can get all unnecessary services shutdown and configured not to start at boot time.

This *should* be about as simple as a Linux distribution installation gets.

OK, so first boot after installation, it hangs at "Starting sendmail" - I have seen this before. I'll just allow the init scripts to run interactively and not start sendmail, right?

Wrong! There is a prompt to "Press I to enter interactive startup", but it seems to ignore my keystrokes, whether I press "I", "i", or something more like "iiiiiiiiii". It also seems not to matter whether I make this entry before the prompt is presented or after. The startup script seems to print the prompt and proceed with a non-interactive startup regardless.

So, I reboot and slap a "1" on the end of grub's kernel loading commandline to get into single user mode and then run "chmod -1 /etc/init.d/sendmail" knowing that I can fix sendmail's config later.

Now I get the problem at "Starting yum-updated". Once again through the grub menus, into single user mode and "chmod -x /etc/init.d/yum-updated".
    I reboot again and now it is hanging at "Starting atd"!

I could probably fix the atd issue the same way, but the novelty of turning off individual init scripts via grub and runlevel 1 has officially worn off - I'm over it!

What could have gone wrong?

Same problem here...Although my machine couldn't be more different than yours, it's still commodity hardware (Asus board, P4 Prescott, Geil RAM). My keyboard works; unfortunately that doesn't matter, because answering "no" to any of those initscripts just postpones the inevitable. I've also tried disabling selinux with the /mnt/sysimage in rescue mode. I have figured out one thing: It's not just FC6, I had a fully-updated 2.16.18-1.2200 FC5 install do the same thing, so that tells me it's something fairly new because before I updated that FC5 install it ran fine. Come to think of it, I had the FC6 Xen kernel run okay too but I need the proprietary nVidia drivers and VMware to work so that's no good anyway. I've Googled the hell out of this and it's seriously bothering me; I really don't want to give up on Fedora but I can only use my wife's XP laptop for so long before my eyes glaze over-

Just Joined!
    I have the same problem, but I do see a common factor between us. Its the Asus P4S800D-X 800 FSB mother board... If you guys find anything to solve this please post it!

I *really* didn't want to hear that...:drown: I just got 2 GB of Geil to work in this thing...
    For whatever it's worth, I disabled the SATA controller and no dice, so that has nothing to do with it...It's also not nVidia drivers b/c it's happening in FC6 before I get the chance to install them. If I update FC5 to 2.6.18-1.2200 or -1.2239 it stalls, but leaves my 2.6.17-1.2187 alone (which improves my disposition greatly)...I *think* that narrows it down to the kernel...
    blubrick, are you using the evil Asus board too?
    everything I've found on other posts is the 2.6.17-1.**** kernel hanging at udev which I've never had a problem with; this is the only place I've heard about anyone having even a remotely similar problem to mine