Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, After I installed a 2.6.11 kernel, my HP6200 work station stops in the middle of the boot process. It first show "press ctlr-s to enter configuration menu", then there ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Boot problem: need to press F1(F1:boot) to complete the boot process

Hi,

After I installed a 2.6.11 kernel, my HP6200 work station stops in the middle of the boot process.

It first show "press ctlr-s to enter configuration menu",
    then there are three highlight options shown on the bottom of the screen:

F1: boot <F9=boot menu> <F10=setup>

If press F1, the boot will continue and boot successfully.
    If press F9, then F1, the boot sequence menu will show up (i.e. choose the boot order between CD, USB device and hard drive.)
    If press F10, get into the setup menu.

I did notice an error message before "ctlr-s":
    917-- Front Audio not connected.

I need to get that machine to complete the boot automatically, so that I can reboot the machine remotely.

Thanks in advance.

Just Joined!

F1: boot <F9=boot menu> <F10=setup>

After doing some research, I have found that F1:boot is part of the POST process. The boot process paused because of the hardware failure. And "917-front audio was no connected" was a correct statment. It turned out that the audio is not connected to the jumper on the mother board. After I fixed the hardware problem, I now can boot up the system all the way without the need to press F1.

Btw, according to the HP forum, you should be able to configure the setup to ignore the hardward failure/disable F1, by hitting "ctlr-a" to get into advance configuration menu. But the key combination didn't work for me. I tried to disable the audio controller in the setup menu, and that didn't work for me either/"917"-error still showed up.