Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am a complete newbie to Linux and just wanted to know if it is possible to install windows .exe programs onto linux I have been trying vlc player ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Newbie here

Hi,
    I am a complete newbie to Linux and just wanted to know if it is possible to install windows .exe programs onto linux I have been trying vlc player and just cant get my head around it??
    Thanks,
    J

Quote Originally Posted by j2dab
    Hi,
    I am a complete newbie to Linux and just wanted to know if it is possible to install windows .exe programs onto linux I have been trying vlc player and just cant get my head around it??
    Thanks,
    J

This thread should help, particularly the section titled "Linux is not Windows":

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ead-first.html

As for your question, simply speaking you cannot run MS Windows EXE files in Linux unless you use some sort of extra software meant as a go-between. Examples of this are the WINE Project.

The real question you need to ask yourself is this: is there a native Linux program that does the same thing? In the case of VLC Player, there are two answers. Yes, there are other programs that do that same thing, but there is also a native Linux version of that particular player available here:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

To learn how to install it, read the "How to Install Software" thread in the link I posted above, or read the instructions on the VLC page.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Also...

If you're trying to use VLC, I'm assuming that you're trying to play music and/or video files on your Linux box.

I'm also assuming that, because you're using the 'RedHat/Fedora forum' that you're using Fedora Core.

You probably want to look at several different packages for multimedia, XMMS is pretty cool (it's a lot like winamp for Linux) and probably MPlayer and Kaffeine (although there are plenty of others) for video.

Also, you'll not be able to use mp3 and many proprietary video formats out-of-the-box because they're subject to US patents. Go elsewhere in the world for your binaries and you'll have no problem. Take a look at the Livna repository for Fedora Core and you'll be able to play pretty much whatever you want (DRM-exceptions apply, however, thanks to uncle Bill).

And dont let my suggestions here stop you from browsing down techiMoe's suggestions above.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by j2dab
    Hi,
    Thanks,
    J
    Are you saying that you want alternatives to vlc? Man that's my favorite player! Ouch! I use it on both windows and linux.

Yes you can run windows programs on linux-- it's called wine, try it out. It's like an emulator, but I guess cooler. Whatever, the name Wine Is Not an Emulator sounds a little pretentious to me, but it's a fantastic app.