Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently set up a Linux server (my first) with Fedora and installed the vnc server from the list of applications. It worked fine at first and I could connect ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't see Linux Desktop using VNC - greyed out

I recently set up a Linux server (my first) with Fedora and installed the vnc server from the list of applications. It worked fine at first and I could connect from a WindowsXP machine using vncviewer and see my Linux Desktop, but now when I try to use VNC the desktop background is greyed out and only a terminal session comes up that I can see. What did I do? :0

Linux User
    Is it greyed out or sort of a light blue-green color?
    In any case you have to log into the linux box as the same user you are trying to VNC in with. In the users home directory change directory to .vnc
    Yes that is "dot" in front of the vnc.
    View the "xstartup" file. It should have as the last line something like "startkde &" for a KDE desktop, that is what I use. Gnome is something else, unfortunately I don't know it. If it is something like "xterm &" then that gives you that blue-green sceen and one terminal. Once you change it you will need to kill your vncserver session and then restart it.

vncserver -kill :<display#>
    vncserver

That should do it, I hope.
    Good Luck,
    Ski
    RHCT

Just Joined!
    You pointed me in the right direction and I really appreciate it. As soon as I went to my home directory and navigated to the .vnc directory and viewed the xstartup file the first line in the file told me to uncomment the next two lines for a normal desktop. That is what I did and now I can see the desktop again!!! Thank you very much!!!