Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I downloaded Firefox 2, ran the installer, and it popped up just fine (after installing the missing package everyone is complaining about). Trouble is, even after a reboot, clicking ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installed Firefox 2.0; Firefox 1.5 won't go away

So I downloaded Firefox 2, ran the installer, and it popped up just fine (after installing the missing package everyone is complaining about). Trouble is, even after a reboot, clicking the Applications > Internet > Firefox Web Browser icon in GNOME still launches Firefox 1.5.0.8, just like it did before I installed 2.0. FF 2.0 is also not located in the /usr/lib directory as I expected it would be. What gives? Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

EDIT: BTW, this is FC6.

Where did you install it to?
    run this command
    Code:
    updatedb
    after that gets done, then you can use whereis or locate to find firefox
    Code:
    whereis firefox-2
    locate firefox-2
    more than likely it is in the /usr/bin/firefox-xxx-xx-x directory.
    All the icons will still point to the older version of firefox unless you change it or create your own new icons (shortcuts).
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    The installer you downloaded and ran was designed for generic linux. Therefore it is intended to work on as many different distributions as possible. The package management system that is used on different distributions varies. Redhat variants and SuSE all use RPM, while Ubuntu and other debian variants use DEB packages. Slackware uses special .tgz archives and Gentoo has you compile everything from source.

If you want a version of firefox for Fedora Core 6, then your best bet is the following:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...2.fc7.i386.rpm

This is a BETA package from the development repository, so don't be surprised if it doesn't want to install or depends upon other packages that you will have to install as well.

If all goes well with this package, then after you install it, all of the icons and links under both Gnome and KDE will point to the new version.

Lee

I love Helen Novinda Marfleet