Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Help! I have done this. Used partition magic to create a 10Gb Linux partition on my exisiting 80Gb Harddrive with (windows XP installed) partition magic set the Linus partiton as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Angry Windows XP won't boot after FC6 install.

Help! I have done this.
    Used partition magic to create a 10Gb Linux partition on my exisiting 80Gb Harddrive with (windows XP installed) partition magic set the Linus partiton as active and I installed FC6 straight away with Grub as the boot manager. It found the windows partition and I set that as the default.
    My PC now won't boot into windows!
    I get to the windows loading screen and after about 2 minutes.
    windows tries to run check disk but fails with:
    xmnt2000 file notfound skipping AUTOCHECK
    autocheck file notfound skipping AUTOCHECK
    and then reboots.
    I can boot to FC6 ok but can't even boot from the windows XP CD to re-install.
    After setting BIOS to boot from CD the system hangs after "checking you system configuration.
    Please can anyone help!!!

xmnt2000 file notfound skipping AUTOCHECK
    autocheck file notfound skipping AUTOCHECK
    Partition Magic deactivated Windows partition and installed its own boot loader 'Boot Magic'. you installed GRUB on the top of Boot Magic and Windows partitioned is still inactive. boot up from Partition Magic Rescue Disks and fix windows.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Exclamation Thanks

I'm sure I asked it not to installed boot magic as the boot manager as I new Grub would be installed as part of the FC6 installation.
    I'll try and find the disks!

Just Joined!
    It sounds to me like partition magic clobbered your windows partition.

Partition magic is a great product, but it is NOT perfect.

IF you did NOT touch your windows partition in any way during the Linux install, then it is VERY unlikely that the installer or Linux itself did anything to damage that partition.

The way I typically fix damaged partitions under windows is to boot up with a BartPE disk and just run chkdsk. Chkdsk for a default tool included with windows, is suprisingly capable, if not exactly configurable.

Given that I don't know exactly what is wrong with your windows partition, I can't offer any advice on how to fix it other than what I would try to do in your situation.

If I were you, I'd use a spare hard drive to install a clean copy of windows, and then use it to try and recover the partition. Another possibility is to install all of the latest ntfs drivers and tools for Linux and see what they can do for you.

Odds are the best that you can hope for is to recover some or most of the data on your windows drive, I would not expect that you will be able to restore it to a functional condition as your system drive without deleting it and doing a clean install.

In the future, ALWAYS back up drives before you poke at them. I know I don't often follow this advice myself, but I do whenever there is anything on a drive I don't want to lose.

Lee

I love Helen Novinda Marfleet

Just Joined!

won't boot from CD either!

This sounds correct, I didn't boot Windows after the Partition Magic did its bit, and the FC6 install went fine. Grub found the XP partiton no probs and tries to boot it.
    I have backups and could start again with XP but I can't boot from CD either.
    I'll try and find make a Chkdisk on a bootable floppy for one last shot.

I have backups and could start again with XP but I can't boot from CD either.
    I'll try and find make a Chkdisk on a bootable floppy for one last shot.
    bootup from windows 98 bootbale floppy and execute this command 'fdisk /mbr'.
    you can download bootablr floppy from www.bootdisk.com

casper

Just Joined!

Unhappy Chkdsk passed Ok

I finally managed to get a BARTPE bootable CD to chkdsk the XP partition and it passed fine, diskpart also showed the XP partition was healthy and active.
    I'll try the fidsk on the MBR but it didn't work with a XP boot disk.

did you try to 'fdisk /mbr' after booting up through windows bootable floppy?

casper

Just Joined!

Unhappy No Joy

This doesn't work either, nothing is mounted it just accesses the A: drive then return to prompt

thats weird.... fdisk /mbr should work.
    are you going for fresh install? wiping everything on Hard Disk?

casper

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast