Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello i am a complete newbie to linux, but i do know some things about computers. my problem is that after trying out a dual boot session with Fedora / ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Uninstalling Linux

hello

i am a complete newbie to linux, but i do know some things about computers.
    my problem is that after trying out a dual boot session with Fedora / Suse, i wanted to re-format the Linux partitions.
    i did it from within windows using Partition-Magic.
    after the format, the system didnt find the GRUB (of course...), therefore i couldnt also load up windows XP.

now i have reinstalled my PC, and im willing to try out Fedora 6, but i want to know how to avoid the above in case i want to remove it.

thanks

If you have some unallocated space following your new XP install, you can install Fedora on there and a dual-boot will automatically be set up by GRUB. Then, if you want to get rid of Fedora, you can use Partition Magic to remove it. If you have a Windows/Linux dual boot set up, it is a whole lot easier to have Windows installed first.

Just Joined!
    but i did have windows XP first..
    this is the steps i have done:

i had an XP.
    used PM to partition EXT to the linux installation
    install linux (all went great, GRUB was working perfectly).
    then, as you said, i formated the EXT partition to get rid of Fedora.

but then, since GRUB wasnt found, i couldnt also load windows...

It happened to me too, but I managed to pull it off. I use Suse10.0 and have Xp home and pro, then Suse. Here's what I did to solve my problem, I reinstall the Suse because you need the grub from it and then I went to the YAsT and changed the bootloader so that Grub won't be the bootloader anymore and from there u could earse it. Hope this helps

This is a common problem, and it is because you have told the bootloader to look for grub on the linux partition, which you then formatted.

lone's suggestion is good, but you could also just format the linux partition as you first did, and then use the windows install CD (assuming you still have it) to repair the bootloader. To do this, boot from the windows cd, choose the option to repair the installation, and type fixmbr at the command line. This will reinstall the windows bootloader, and everything should work well from then on.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode