Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been having several problems on a machine that a friend of a friend built for me, and who has completely disappeared, so I have no tech support at all, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Date-Time Craziness / No Video / I Know Nothing

I've been having several problems on a machine that a friend of a friend built for me, and who has completely disappeared, so I have no tech support at all, and I am a total spaz ...

Please assume total ignorance ...

1) For the past several months, my date / time thing has been completely wrong ... and now the display mode has changed for some reason I do NOT understand at all ...

It used to be the time -- digitally displayed, including seconds, and the date below -- no problems ...

Then, all of a sudden, the date disappeared, and the time changed to all sorts of places all over the world like Tokyo, London, Sydney ...

Plus the minute and second function started to accelerate ... again, for no clear reason ... and I had to constantly re-set roughly by watching the second the minute changed on the cable TV read-out ...

Now, today, all of a sudden, the time display has completely changed to "five to eleven", for example, which is what it's showing now ... and Tokyo ...

And I live in San Francisco ...

This is driving me crazy ... and, please remember, I'm a total spaz, as the next items will also indicate ...

2) i cannot seem to get any video other than "Totem Movie Player (default)" ... and so I can't open EITHER M-pegs OR WMV ...

You can imagine how upsetting this is ... and ...

3) Last but not least, every time I try to download a new Firefox browser -- I have the original one, that is constantly eliciting messages like "Need to have more advanced browser"

Please feel free to answer either here or at my email, which is goethe2000@gmail.com

Thank you so much ...

David

Just Joined!
    First:

What distrobution are you using?

Second? Have you tried replacing the CMOS battery on the Motherboard to correct the time...Usually when this goes dead your time gets extremely messed up.

3rd...what are the errors you get when launching other video players?

Just Joined!

Question

Hi Army Guy,

Thanks so much for your quick response ...

My level of pathetitude is such that I don't even understand what you've asked ...

This is my network setting:

https://xmlrpc.rhn.redhat.com/XMLRPC

Beyond that, I don't even know what Fedora I'm running -- I think 3, but I'm not sure -- or what level my Firefox browser ...

And as for replacing a battery on the motherboard ... well ... I'm not sure where it is, let alone the specific battery you mention ...

As for the video stuff, I can't even find a way to download and then install video enablers ...

Pathetic, I know ...

And I do appreciate your effort, but it's got to be taken down a notch, unfortunately ...

Hopefully, this won't be impossible for you to do ...

Thanks so much,

David

goethe2000@gmail.com

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close