Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Geeks !! I am a newbee and trying to migrate from the Windows world. I am trying to install Matlab 7.0 on FC6 installed on my compaq desktop computer. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Matlab on FC6

Hi Geeks !!

I am a newbee and trying to migrate from the Windows world. I am trying to install Matlab 7.0 on FC6 installed on my compaq desktop computer. I have followed all the instructions so far but when i launch the installer, I get the following error:

An error status was returned by the program 'xsetup',
    the X Window System version of 'install'. The following messages were written to standard error:

/tmp/2956tmwinstall/update/bin/glnx86/xsetup: error while loading shared libraries: libXp.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Attempt to fix the problem and try again. If X is not available
    or 'xsetup' cannot be made to work then try the terminal
    version of 'install' using the command:

install* -t or INSTALL* -t

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    /tmp/2956tmwinstall/update/install/abort.sh: line 15: /tmp/2956tmwinstall/update/install/cleanup.sh: No such file or directory

As per advise of error message i tried the terminal version of intall as well but no luck. I have also tried searching the forums and there is an advice to disable SELinux. I have done that but no luck !! Also my friend installed the Same distribution from MY CDs on his Dell desktop and IBM laptop and is Happy with Matlab7 !!

Has anyone figured out a workaround !!

Your help will be gladly appreciated !!

Thanks in advance.

V

/tmp/2956tmwinstall/update/bin/glnx86/xsetup: error while loading shared libraries: libXp.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    check /usr/lib folder. if there is any libXp.so.xyz file, symlink it with libXp.so.6
    Code:
    ln -sf /usr/lib/<existing libXp file> /usr/lib/libXp.so.6
    install Matlab.........

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thanks for this casper, but there are all sort of file like libXpm.so , libXpm.so.4 etc !! but no libXp.so kinds.. and certainly there is no libXp.so.6 !!

what do i do !!

Sorry for my ignorence !!

Thanks..

V

install Xorg Libraries. its in RPM folder of Installation CD/DVD.
    OR
    install through 'yum'.
    Code:

yum install xorg-x11-deprecated-libs

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Smile

That I will do. But there are two problems in this..

(1)My Linux system is not connected to internet, so can't use yum.

(2) As it is known that is is bit daunting to install packages directly from CD you have to have a tweak. (I have read that tutoriala and will follow it). I would appreciate where are those RPMS !! coz CD installation will be easier for me.

Thanks once again !!

V