Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Guys, Please i need help installing softwares on my FC6 (I am totally new to Linux). Kernel: 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen GUI: Gnome I will describe my problems. First of all i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dependencies Problems

Hello Guys,
    Please i need help installing softwares on my FC6 (I am totally new to Linux).
    Kernel: 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen GUI: Gnome

I will describe my problems. First of all i don't have internet connected to the FC6, so i can't use “yum install ...” i need to use “yum localinstall ...”.
    I use my XP to download rpms and tar.gzip to get the software i need.
    For instance i need to read chm files on FC6 so i downloaded chmlib , pychm and Gnochm
    chmlib is a prerequisite to pychm and in its turn pychm is a prerequisite to Gnochm when i try to install them i keep hitting the Missing dependencies Error, and this problem keeps repeating itself for almost every package i need to install. This problem is getting on my nerves how can i resolve these dependencies without going totally insane. And about compiling source codes “tar.gz ...” (which often constitute a library or a dependency) i use the following as it is said inside the installation instruction included in the package. I type:
    ./configure
    make
    make install
    Even after compiling & installing it, the rpm -ivh command and yum localinstall cannot resolve dependencies

Thank you very much guys. I really tried everything available and search almost every forum entry and HOWTO available out there to resolve this issue but no success so i posted this thread.

This is an example:

[root@localhost Yahya]# yum localinstall chmlib-0.38-2.i386.rpm pychm-0.8.4-2fc5.i386.rpm gnochm-0.9.9-1fc5.noarch.rpm
    Loading "installonlyn" plugin
    Setting up Local Package Process
    Examining chmlib-0.38-2.i386.rpm: chmlib - 0.38-2.i386
    Examining pychm-0.8.4-2fc5.i386.rpm: pychm - 0.8.4-2fc5.i386
    Examining gnochm-0.9.9-1fc5.noarch.rpm: gnochm - 0.9.9-1fc5.noarch
    Marking chmlib-0.38-2.i386.rpm to be installed
    Setting up repositories
    No Repositories Available to Set Up
    Reading repository metadata in from local files
    Marking pychm-0.8.4-2fc5.i386.rpm to be installed
    Setting up repositories
    Marking gnochm-0.9.9-1fc5.noarch.rpm to be installed
    Setting up repositories
    Resolving Dependencies
    --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
    ---> Package gnochm.noarch 0:0.9.9-1fc5 set to be updated
    ---> Package chmlib.i386 0:0.38-2 set to be updated
    ---> Package pychm.i386 0:0.8.4-2fc5 set to be updated
    --> Running transaction check
    --> Processing Dependency: gnome-python2-gtkhtml2 for package: gnochm
    --> Finished Dependency Resolution
    Error: Missing Dependency: gnome-python2-gtkhtml2 is needed by package gnochm

Just Joined!

Smart Package Manager

I would give smart a shot, I use it in Suse and a few others. For Fedora go to Leap and have at the instructions. or at term - su -> yum install fedora-package-config-smart smart-gui -> then smart --gui &;
    Then try searching and installing the package you want, it should resolve your dep's on it's own. Hope this helps

Just Joined!
    Regardless of what package manager you use you're going to need additional repositories setup to resolve dependencies. I used to alternate between smart and apt which are both great, but I've not had a problem with deps failures in fc6 so far (except when i use atrpms repo). Also, with yum, you don't necessarily need to use the "localinstall" command. I never do, i just say "yum install /path/to/file" and it installs the package and dependencies.

Or you could go to a website like rpm.pbone
    http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat...oarch.rpm.html
    It's a really cool website that will tell you what files are required for each package you wish to download, it offers the downloads too.
    On the link provided above, just look at the bottom of the page for the requires.
    Do a search for gnome-python2-gtkhtml2 while your there, you already know you need it. To see if you already have a package installed, before you download it, use rpm
    rpm -qa package-name
    It's much faster than yum, and it doesnt require an internet connection.
    Use it to install software too
    rpm -Uhv package-name
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.