Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is it possible to remotely control a Fedora Core 6 desktop from a Win XP machine or vice versa? If so is anything extra required beyond the standard remote control ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Remote Control Desktop Question

Is it possible to remotely control a Fedora Core 6 desktop from a Win XP machine or vice versa?

If so is anything extra required beyond the standard remote control components?

Sure you can!

You should be able to install VNC on Fedora with either Yum or system-config-packages.

Or:

Download Tightvnc for Windows and for Linux. Install each on their respective boxes and start the servers. On Windows, there will be menu items to start the server. In Linux you open a terminal and do as regular user:
    Code:
    vncserver
    It will ask for a password. I always just use my regular user password and press enter. It will start an instance :1 of the server.

From Windows, bring up vncviewer and type in the IP of the Linux box followed by :1. For instance:

192.168.1.101:1

From Linux, open a terminal and type "vncviewer" followed by the Windows machine's IP and :0...

vncviewer 192.168.1.101:0

If boxes are on seperate networks, make sure ports 5900-5901 in your router(s) are forwarded to the vnc sever machines.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 12-13-2006 at 02:20 AM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    I use VNC. It works well on both my xp and linux box.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Re:

I'll give it a shot. Thanks very much!

Just Joined!

Re:

Well I tried tightvnc. I can control the winxp box from the linux box just fine. But I can't control the linux box remotely, which is my actual intent with this.

I haven't really set up any kind of network on the linux box except for what it defaulted to when I installed FC 6. I just have a simple network: My notebook is the Win XP box, a wireless router and the linux box (localdomain.localhost

Maybe I don't have security settings right? I'm stumped.

Are you getting an exact error message? What is it? It could be that you need to open port(s) 5900-5901 in your Linux firewall if one is present. Run system-config-securitylevel. Turn off firewall settings and try just "vnc-ing" from Windows to the Linux machine to see if it is a firewall issue.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!

Re:

Bingo! That was exactly the problem. Works like a charm now. Thanks very much!

Although I'm a little confused. When I control the WinXP box I get the exact windows desktop. When I control the Linux box I get a very basic desktop, the basic window manager. Is there any way to get the fully functional KDE desktop?