Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Hi welshmike, I am no expert, i still consider myself a newbie. From what i have learnt from this community here: If you're using gnome, you can use NetworkManager to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hi welshmike,

I am no expert, i still consider myself a newbie. From what i have learnt from this community here:

If you're using gnome, you can use NetworkManager to ease your life with wireless. Someone taught me this earlier in this thread.

If you're using KDE, well you are on the same track as i am. I've never installed or user FC6 before, but i think it should roughly be the same.

Try to read this thread carefully, i started off with no knowledge at all. You should be able to get yours up as well. Do post back if you have any problems..

Just Joined!
    I have this card in a laptop. Im running FC6 with kernel >2.6.18 something.

I untarred the firmware (3.0) into /lib/firmware but am still having no luck.

It seems to recognize eth1 as what it is (Intel PRO 2200BG) but when I try to activate it it says it appears to not be there.

In fact durting bootup when trying to initialize it I get a failure with the message that 2200BG device eth1 does not seem to be present: delaying initialization.

I'm lost! Any ideas? I'm thinking it may be something simple that I'm just not seeing?

@ welshmike
    Like jinchuriki suggested you can use Network manager if using Gnome, if you are using KDE, then KNetworkManager could also do the trick.

@ scewing
    Could you post the result from this command:
    Code:
    cat /var/log/messages | grep ipw
    dmesg | grep eth
    Also make sure that your wifi is turned on and network settings like encryption and such are correct.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I get no responses..just a slight delay and then back to the prompt.

I am using KDE and I have the network manager and all installed. My wired card (eth0) works fine. When I go into the network configuration utility it shows eth1 (the wireless card) and says its ok but says its inactive. When I try to activate it it says its not there, delaying initialization. I can't set the SSID or any of the encryption because it won't acknowledge that the device exists. Thats what is so odd. it recognizes it but yet it doesnt. It even recognizes that its an Intel Pro 2200BG card.....very strange.

BTW This is in a laptop and it works fine in Win XP so the device is physically ok.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me with this.

could you post the results from the two above commands?
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    I got no responses from those commands...just a small pause and then back to the prompt.

I've since given up. I'm keeping FC6 on my desktop, but I installed OpenSUSe 10.2 on my laptop and it recognized the wireless card right away.

Thanks for the help just the same.

Just Joined!

Don't understand!!

Quote Originally Posted by antidrugue
    In fact, starting with kernel 2.6.14, both IPW2200 and IEEE80211 are included in the kernel.

With kernel < 2.6.17, you need firmware version 2.4.

With kernel >= 2.6.17, firmware version 3.0 is required.

You simply untar it in /lib/firmware/, and you are good to go.

Provided you have a connection manager (network-manager for example), everything will work as advertised.
    I am new at linux and am trying to follow this because I too am having trouble with my wireless card (intel pro/wireless 2915abg). I guess I don't have a grasp on the basics and have tried the newbie forums...I'm gathering that people trying to help assume I know how to untar a file into a directory...but I don't. I know I need to untar it into the firmware directory but how?? Please help. I have followed sooo many instructions and am not getting anywhere. Thank you!

Just download the latest firmware (version 3.0) from here :
    http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php

Then untar it and copy it in /lib/firmware/, like that :
    Code:
    tar zxf ipw2200-fw-3.0.tgz
    cd ipw2200-fw-3.0/
    su -c "mv *.fw /lib/firmware/"
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3