Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Guys, I'm trying to install linux on my Dell Inspiron laptop with Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/PM card, no matter what options I chose (graphic or text), the screen would become ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Display problem when installing Red Hat Linux 9.0 on Dell Inspiron 6000

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to install linux on my Dell Inspiron laptop with Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/PM card, no matter what options I chose (graphic or text), the screen would become brighter and brighter until I could not read any words on it, and the installation seemed stoped too.
    Has anyone here experienced this before? I appreciate your suggestion very much.

David

I don't know if this would necessarily solve your problem, but have you considered using a more recent version of Linux? Redhat 9 is nearly 4 years old now. The latest version of Linux that uses the Redhat kernel is either Fedora Core 6 or CentOS.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Thanks, TechieMoe, but for my case, the Red Hat Linux 9.0 was required for a class...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by David Wang
    Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/PM card
    It should be possible for you to successfully perform a Red Hat 9 installation on this machine. Be aware however that the machine will not perform at full speed (good luck getting DMA to work with a kernel bellow 2.6.15 on a ICH6 SATA/IDE controller).

Press F1 at installation prompt and try various boot options.

I interrogate myself as to why your class would require you to use such an antique distribution. Even 4 (almost) years ago when RH9 came out, it was a quite conservative distro not using the most recent software. By today standards it is terribly outdated.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Then again, if you manage to install RH9 on that machine (and I'm sure you will if you persevere), you can always compile a new kernel and most things should go well after that. Refer to Dapper Dan instructions on that :
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/red...ell-about.html
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    I totally agree with you on Red Hat Linux 9.0. Since my class is embedded system design, sometimes, uCLinux is enough, so don't care too much about fancy softwares.
    I tried different installation options, such as low resolution, noprobe... all failed...I read something about updating driver or even change system setting files, but without entering the environment, they should not work, that's bad.