Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have installed Fedora Core 5. When I try to update my FC5 via Add or remove programs, I get the following message - "Unable to retrieve the software information". ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Problem updating Fedora Core 5

I have installed Fedora Core 5. When I try to update my FC5 via Add or remove programs, I get the following message - "Unable to retrieve the software information".

Please help me regarding this problem.

Thank you,
    Srinidhi

Linux User
    Hi srinidhi,
    Do you connect to internet using proxy? Also, what does the detailed error message given by Package Manager say?

With Regards,
    Thinker

I do not connect to Internet. I have FC5 CD and I want to update through that CD. It won't give any error message except this - Unable to retrieve the software information".

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by srinidhi
    I do not connect to Internet. I have FC5 CD and I want to update through that CD.
    You can't update using the install CD's. Do you want to update from FC5 to FC6 or do you just want to update certain programs? Either way, not having a connection to the internet makes this very difficult. You can download the images for FC6 here. If you use the Add/Remove programs tool to update software, it's going to assume you have an internet connection. That would be why you're getting that error.

Quote Originally Posted by srinidhi
    I do not connect to Internet. I have FC5 CD and I want to update through that CD. It won't give any error message except this - Unable to retrieve the software information".
    i am not getting it. are you trying to install new packages from FC5 CD or upgarding existing OS FC4/5 to FC5/6?

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First