Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay, here's a weird one. I had VLC and MPlayer installed and working fine. Then I install and play Sauerbraten for 30 minutes. After that, I went to play a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

VLC & MPlayer cease to function

Okay, here's a weird one. I had VLC and MPlayer installed and working fine. Then I install and play Sauerbraten for 30 minutes. After that, I went to play a DVD and neither VLC nor MPlayer will start--just nothing, as if I had not clicked anything. (I tried to open them via the applications menu and by left clicking on the files I wanted to open.) I went into edit the Applications menus and check 'run a command in terminal window.' Then when I click on either program in the applications menu, a terminal window will open for a fraction of a second and then disappear without a trace. So, I uninstall both programs via yum extender, reboot and reinstall them again. Still nothing. I am sure that a link is broken somewhere--can anybody help me out? Thanks!

What happens when you try to open it from a terminal?
    Typing the program name there ...
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!

terminal window try

Well, I presume that I don't need to change directories where the files are, so this is what I got:

[Peter@localhost ~]$ vlc
    vlc: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libavcodec.so.51: undefined symbol: faacDecOpen
    [Peter@localhost ~]$

Thanks.

Just Joined!

Smile Another quick fix

Well, there is a new version of VLC out, which includes the codecs to play .wmv files. I downloaded it and it works. I ran the game Saurbraten again, then went back to VLC it is still works. I think that everything is now fine, but it looks like I am dumping MPlayer. Thanks for your help.

I'm having the same problem with mplayer and mine worked fine also.
    I suspect it has something to do with a faulty update/bug. You might want to wait a day or so for new updates, but I think they'll fix it.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.