Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I am a newbie to Linux but still want to learn more operations of red hat and other distros. I just installed Linux but made some mistakes on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How To change IP address of my redhat box

Hello all,
    I am a newbie to Linux but still want to learn more operations of red hat and other distros.

I just installed Linux but made some mistakes on the ip address settings of the box, hence I cant get any ping reply from my gateway as recommended by my ISP. Instead of putting the ip as 192.168.1.200, i went and typed 192.168.0.200 as my eth0.

My question is, how do i change the ip address of my eth0 to the correct one, and as well allow my other computers to access the internet, as I want to set the Linux as a router/gateway so that other computers can automatically get their addresses from the Linux box.

Links

http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-L...5-02/0106.html

also try reading the man pages for ifconfig

Code:
    man ifconfig

Hi,
    And welcome to the forums.
    I suggest, since your a linux beginner, use the system-config-network tool.
    I know of two ways to launch it. Click on the Network tool from within the system menu or open a terminal and login as root
    Code:
    su -
    Then type
    Code:
    neat
    From there you can specify your own IP address, hostname and DNS settings.
    Just highlight the device you want to change (eth0) and select edit.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Thanks Jamesthe4th,
    I tried the link u sent to the reply it works. I am happy that I can achieve it.

Again i asked about steps to configure DHCP in Red hat or Fedora cus i want other computers in my network to access internet using my red hat box as the gateway.

Banned
    Check the configurations...

vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
    vi /etc/sysconfig/network

And restart the interfaces...

/etc/init.d/network restart

Just Joined!

How do i make my linux a router/gateway

Hello all,
    I appreciate all your post/reply to me concerning how to change my ip address of my linux box.

My other question is that I want other computers in my LAN to get internet access thru my linux box, but I cant make them get ip address automatically.
    Someone told me about installing and configuaring DHCP, but since I am new to linux, I dont know how to do it. Can someone help give me steps to downlaod, install and enable DHCP in my linux box so that it can work and enable it start on boot. I want the ip range to be 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.254