Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can anybody offer any advice? Over the past 3 years, I've tried on a number of different occasions to install a variety of linux OSs. Never any luck. This past ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Wannabe - Can't install any version of Linux

Can anybody offer any advice?

Over the past 3 years, I've tried on a number of different occasions to install a variety of linux OSs. Never any luck. This past week, I made a firm decision to learn Linux. I wiped my hard disk, reinstalled XP and left a 20Gb partition for Linux. I've now tried to install 4 different versions with absolutely no success. Each version complains right off the bat. It's not like I'm getting halfway through....all of them stop in the beginning. So far I've tried Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS and last night, Fedora Core 6.

Frankly, I don't get it - Windows installs without issue. I even got rid of my RAID set up as I've seen this can further complicate installation issues.

Is it my Mobo or hardware? I'm using an ASUS P4P800-E, Intel P4 2.6, 1Gb Corsair RAM, SATA 36Gb Raptor Primary HD, SATA 100 Gb WD secondary HD. Win XP SP2.

I will say, now on boot up, I get a message saying the Promise Controller is not connected.......which makes sense since no RAID is configured.

I donwloaded the Fedora Core 6 ISO last night, ran a checksum, no issues.

On reboot, I see the Fedora opening message, then 10-seconds later, "Disk Error 20, AX = 4200, drive EF.

I tried Googlin' this message, which led me to this forum....unfortunately, no good advice as far as I can see. People recommending a checksum on the ISO, stating the hardware is bad etc. etc.

Neither of these seem to be the case for me. Checksum matched and my hardware can't be that bad as it's been running Windows for years without issue.

The Ubuntu forums seemed to indicate that my MOBO had some issues but after following their suggestions, I still couldn't get the install started. I was really hoping that Fedora would be the answer.

Other than trying to install Linux on another PC, can anybody offer any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Linux Wannabe

Just Joined!

try a dedicated harddrive

I had similar problems with Fedora's installer trying to share a harddrive with XP. So, I went out and bought a cheap 300Gb SATA, hooked it up to the onboard controler, set the new drive as the default drive in the boot sequence and 'poof!' --all my troubles disappeared. Now I have my original harddrive with XP on it, my new one with Fedora 6, and to switch between the two I just go into the bios boot menu. Simple as pie and works great. Get a dedicated harddrive.

Hi BeRad !!

Upgrade BIOS. it must be outdated. visit website of your MoBo manufacturer for latest BIOS and installation instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny1111
    Now I have my original harddrive with XP on it, my new one with Fedora 6, and to switch between the two I just go into the bios boot menu. Simple as pie and works great. Get a dedicated harddrive.
    you can add an entry in Fedora's GRUB without changing/installing anything in Windows Harddisk. you wont have to change boot sequence in BIOS everytime.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Casper,

Forgot to mention I updated the BIOS after being unable to isntall Ubuntu as that was one of the many suggested issues. Didn't change a thing for me.

Does anybody know what the message is referring to?

Disk Error 10: AX - 4232, Drive EF

???

many Linux installers' kernels don't yet support many Serial ATA chipsets. i think yours chipset is also one of those. Check this link. a few workarounds are listed there.
    try setting your SATA controller (in the BIOS) to "compatibility mode" (or "legacy mode").

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Hi Casper,

That Promise RAID controller might be one of the bigger problems.

Thanks for your response again and continuing to try to help. I switched my BIOS from "enhanced" to "compatible" mode. Unfortunately, once that change is made, I also lose primary CD drive and secondary DVD drive. They simply aren't recognized any longer. Which obviously makes it impossible to boot and install from the CD drive....

What a major letdown. Any other ideas? Another way to configure the hard drives and CD/DVD drives so that they'll be usable in compatible mode perhaps?

For anyone else who stumbles across this thread, you can read this thread to see how others are having the same types of problems I had installing Ubuntu which I was also unsuccessful with.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...=289523&page=2

Anyway, thanks for all your help Casper. If you come up with another idea, I'm willing to give it a shot.

tpl
    Linux User
    another way to run *nix is w/ knoppix: it is hard disk
    independent--can take the disk out. I think if you
    have enough RAM you can put it there; should be *fast*