Find the answer to your Linux question:
I loged in as root and installed diver for motorola 56k softmodem using »rpm –i drivername«. I got the message the installation was successful, rebooted the system and tried issuing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

What is wrong with modem?

I loged in as root and installed diver for motorola 56k softmodem using »rpm –i drivername«. I got the message the installation was successful, rebooted the system and tried issuing minicom command »minicom –d 088932480« and it says, »can not open /dev/modem: No such device or address«. So I checked and found »/dev/modem« does exist, it is of type link pointing to »/dev/sm56« which does exist as well. I checked also »/etc/conf.modules« and changed country to 386 meaning Slovenia. What is the problem? Did I do something wrong? What else could I try? Thanx for your help

Ps: the modem works ok in Win Xp

Are you using KDE desktop, if so try using kppp.
    You might not have to login to KDE to use it, but I think you need KDE installed.
    Launch it from a command line
    kppp
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Newbie
    Thanx, but it didn't work out even with kppp, seem's that the driver isn't the correct one. I see, I won't come any further with this. On the web there is no such driver, and obviously nobody here had this kind of problem. I plan to buy ADSL next year and hope that ADSL modems are better supported than analog 56k in linux, otherwise I have to switch back to that **** of windows.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close