Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, I've got a box I use as a fileserver / printserver / DVR. It has got two physical disks installed - one containing the OS (/, /swap, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Getting started with LVM on Fedora

Hello everyone,

I've got a box I use as a fileserver / printserver / DVR.

It has got two physical disks installed - one containing the OS (/, /swap, and /boot partitions) and a second 250gb drive which is simply mounted as /fileserver. MythTV writes everything to this partition, and it's shared out using samba.

Anyway, I'm running out of disk space on that partition, so I wanted to add another 250gb to it. I think I should be using LVM to do this, so I'm starting to research it.

However, I've run into a pretty basic question that no FAQ or how-to has answered yet--if I already have data in a partition, what happens when I initialize it with LVM? What happens when I add another physical disk to it? I'm concerned about data loss as I just finished ripping my extensive (500+ CDs and LPs) music collection to OGG and I'd rather not have to do all of that again.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Initialising an LVM volume is like using mkfs on it - it wipes the drive. If you've not already got an LVM disk, then the solution is pretty easy...

Get your new disk and install it physically into the machine.

Create an LVM volume on it an initialise (I use the lvm management tool that comes with Fedora).

Copy all the data across to the new LVM volume from your old mythTV partition.

Turn your old 250Gig drive into another LVM physical volume and add it to the volume group you defined previously. Extend the logical view of that volume group to include the new data you just added to it.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/