Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Evening all. I got my internet connection working tonight (been setting up a network) and was impressed that FC6 detected and connected to it instantly. Unfortunately the updates were a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Updates

Evening all.

I got my internet connection working tonight (been setting up a network) and was impressed that FC6 detected and connected to it instantly. Unfortunately the updates were a bit of a problem. It found 107. So I started the download and it said it found clashes in 7 of them. So I unchecked them and installed the rest - fine.

So how do I stop the updates clashing? The 7 are:

frysk
    gaim
    hal
    mkinitrd
    pango
    python
    totem

When I click "Apply Updates" for these remaining 7 it says "Error resolving dependencies" and under details says "python-devel conflicts with python < 2.4.4-1.fc6". So I uncheck python,and it gets to "Preparing transaction". Then it says "Error updating software". Under details I get a huge string of errors saying

file /etc/gconf/schemas/totem.schemas from install of totem-2.16.3-1.fc6 conflicts with file from package totem-2.16.1-1.fc6' (7, '/etc/gconf/schemas/totem.schemas', 0L))

Each one with the same address just from the different package. I tried deleting the files but the updater doesn't even notice. It says they're still there.

So. What to do?

4th

Linux User
    I find the best way to do this is via terminal command line.
    First you have to see if the package python2.4.4-1.fc6 is on your system.
    Do a rpm -q |grep python and see if "python2.4.4-1.fc6" is listed. If so do a rpm -e --nodeps python2.4.4-1.fc6
    Then do a yum -y update and see what the next error is. I had several of these type of errors on the update and once removed I was able to update with no errors. Also i have had no issues with python too.
    Good Luck,
    Ski
    RHCT

Just Joined!
    When i did rpm -q python the first time it said I had "python-2.4.3-18.fc6" and "python-2.4.3-1.fc6". So I used rpm -e to wipe the old version like you said. Then I ran yum -y update and it the terminal pumped out a big list of packages set to be updated. Then it said "Finished Dependency Resolution" before throwing this error:

Error: Missing Dependency: python = 2.4.3-18.fc6 is needed by package python-devel

But I have the "-18" version. I checked rpm -q python again, and it said "python-2.4.3-18.fc6" as expected. What's going on?

4th

Linux User
    Remove the newer one and redo yum -y update again.
    Update will resolve the dependency and reload it.
    Good Luck,
    Ski
    RHCT

Just Joined!
    Ok so I removed all of the python packages. Now when i hit yum -y update it says:

bash: /usr/bin/yum: /usr/bin/python: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

...getting weird...

4th

Linux User
    Not ALL!
    Just the one package -18
    Good Luck,
    Ski
    RHCT

Just Joined!
    yeah thats what i did. rpm -e --nodeps python-2.4.3-18.fc6

Is this thing screwed now?

4th

Linux User
    Yep my bad too, sorry.
    Do a yum install python-2.4.3-18.fc6
    Good Luck,
    Ski
    RHCT

Just Joined!
    I get the same error. Even if i just type "yum" it says "bash: /usr/bin/yum: /usr/bin/python: bad interpreter: No such file or directory". Any way I can reinstall python without using yum?

Cheers

4th

Linux User
    Do "updatedb"
    then locate yum
    Good Luck,
    Ski
    RHCT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast