Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I've a problem with my Fedora 6 distro. Sometimes, with no rules, my system go crash and the graphic interface freezing. I see GNOME interface with the mouse ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

System freezing

Hi guys,
    I've a problem with my Fedora 6 distro. Sometimes, with no rules, my system go crash and the graphic interface freezing. I see GNOME interface with the mouse pointer blocked (also keyboard blocked) and i can't do anything, only restart the machine. Can someone help me?
    Thanks and regards.

You can't switch to a text terminal? Does the caps lock light toggle when you hit the caps lock key?

Just Joined!

System freezing

It's all blocked, i try CTRL+ALT+F1, but nothing... I can only restart the machine. Now i'm trying another distro (Mandriva) on the same machine, i'll send you news.
    Thanks and regards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I have exactly the same problem

It seems to happen most often when scrolling up or down in a browser window, both in Firefox and Konqueror

Because of this and one other problem that people seem to have been having since FC3 I too have decided to ditch FC6 and try another flavour

The ironic thing is that I decided to have a look at linux again after last trying it several years ago because people keep telling me how much more stable etc it is these days than windoze!

The XP I have running on the same machine is very fast and never crashes ... but I haven't given up yet, I'm off to give Ubuntu Edgy a try

Rune

Just as a point of interest, are either of you using ndiswrapper? Trying to use it with my wireless card locked my CentOS machine in the very same way. After installing the native Linux drivers for my wireless, the problem went away...
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 01-05-2007 at 02:16 PM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    I can't look if I had ndiswrapper installed now as I've taken FC6 off and installed Ubuntu

But there isn't even a wireless card in the machine so I assume that isn't likely to have been the cause (but I wouldn't bet against my being wrong!)

So far I've not had any of the same problems with Ubuntu that I had with FC6 although I'm still setting things up

Rune

Just Joined!
    Bit of an afterthought this, but I'm running an AMD 64 and had installed the 32-bit FC6 whereas I've installed the 64-bit Ubuntu

Perhaps that has something to do with it, I'm thinking I might try FC6 64 on another hdd sometime later as a test

I use FC6 32-bit version on my 64-bit amd laptop, with no problems like this. I have experienced what appeared to be the occasional lock-up on my FC5 desktop, but that only happened when I restarted my nfs server box (and the homes were temporariily unavailable).

It could be down to the video drivers you're using - did you install from the manufacturer site (nvidia or ATI) or get them from livna? If not, you might find that a suitable solution.

Whenever I'm locked out of a Linux machine, I log in through ssh and find out what is causing the problem, fixing it can be as simple as killing off an errant process, or doing a safe reboot.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    I had the same idea about graphics drivers

When I did a clean install to retry things, before doing anything else I installed the geforce drivers from nvidia's site

I also didn't think of remoting in from another machine ... I'll keep that in mind for the future

Rune