Find the answer to your Linux question:
Greetings all. I haven't had to refer to myself as a newb in a very long time, but I just started using Linux a few days ago...so here I am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation ATI Proprietary Driver HELP

Greetings all. I haven't had to refer to myself as a newb in a very long time, but I just started using Linux a few days ago...so here I am in all my newbness with problems.

I've installed Red Hat 7.1 on my HP Compaq nx9600 laptop, which has an ATI Mobility Radeon x300 64MB for the video card

I appear to be having some graphical problems, such as not being able to 'startx':

Code:
    (EE) VGA(0): Given depth (16) is not supported by this driver.
    (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration

Fatal server error:
    no screens found

XIO: fatal IO error 104

So, I decided I should grab the ATI Linux drivers for my card, which is where I'm kind of stuck.

OS Specs:
    Kernal v2.4.2-2 on i686
    XFree86 v6.4
    Glibc v2.2

1) Grabbed the following files from ATI's website
    check.sh
    ati-driver-installer-8.32.5-x86_64.run
    fglrx_4_3_0-8.32.5-1.i386.rpm

2) Following directions from this link: https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...32.5-inst.html

3) '#sh check.sh' produced this:

Code:
    =======================================================
    ATI Technologies
    =======================================================
    XFree86 Version 4.6.0 is installed
    4) '#sh ati*.run' produced this error:

Code:
    Uncompressing ATI Proprietary Linux Driver-8.32.5........................

mktemp: invalid option --t
    Usage: mktemp [-d] [-q] [-u] template

./ati-installer.sh: $OUT_FILE: ambiguous redirect
    ./ati-installer.sh: $OUT_FILE: ambiguous redirect
    ./ati-installer.sh: .: filename argument required .: usage: . filename

Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install

5) '#rpm -ivh fglrx*.rpm' produced this error:

Code:
    error: failed dependencies:
    	libexpat.so.1 is needed by fglrx_4_3_0-8.32.5-1
    	libfontconfig.so.1 is needed by fglrx_4_3_0-8.32.5-1
    	libgcc_s.so.1 is needed by fglrx_4_3_0-8.32.5-1
    	// ...and on and on
    Sooo....I've been searching other forums and sites for help, but most of the solutions apply to other distros such as Suse or Gentoo, and so on. Any help would be much much appreciated
    Last edited by Peffe; 01-04-2007 at 02:27 PM. Reason: *Formatting

Redhat 7.1 is an ancient version of Linux (Like installing Windows 98 now, almost ten years old), you got some pretty complicate dependencies problems here, try to update to Fedora Core 6
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!
    U r a noob like me so I suggest that u use CentOS.It is the 100% clone of the latest RHEL(Red Hat Enterprise Linux) 4.4 (RedHat Linux 14 ).

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the suggestion Juan. I'm downloading FC 6 now, but it's going to take a while.

While I'm waiting, I'll just ask a couple more questions.

1) Are there any other solutions than just upgrading the OS?

2) Any reason why you picked FC 6 over Suse or Madriva?

3) Any possible road blocks I might run into once I have FC 6 installed, and begin configuration for video cards? (One machine has the ATI mobility card I mentioned earlier, and I have another machine that has a nVidia GeForce4 mobility card)

Just Joined!
    U r a noob like me so I suggest that u use CentOS.It is the 100% clone of the latest RHEL(Red Hat Enterprise Linux) 4.4 (RedHat Linux 14 ).RedHat 7.1 is a really ancient version.

Sorry For the Double post.

Juan suggested for FC 6 but CentOS is much more stable and u won't find any video card driver problems with it.

1) Are there any other solutions than just upgrading the OS?
    Install newer libs and hope everything still work
    Any reason why you picked FC 6 over Suse or Madriva?
    I supposed you would like it since you were using RedHat
    Any possible road blocks I might run into once I have FC 6 installed, and begin configuration for video cards? (One machine has the ATI mobility card I mentioned earlier, and I have another machine that has a nVidia GeForce4 mobility card)
    It's usually very easy, add extra repos and couple of command will download drivers from the internet and install them automatically. YOu may need to do some really easy file editing
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!
    So, I downloaded and installed Fedora Core 6. Installation went smoothly, boot up was glorious, and no extra steps were taken or needed for the video card to be recognized and drivers installed.

Pretty colors and GUIs. . .I found myself retreating back to the command prompt to perform the simplest tasks, though =).

Crazy thing just started happening though. . .but it's not related to this thread, so I'll just research the problem and post later if I'm still stumped.

Thanks for the help.

Just Joined!
    Hello, i am kinda haveing the same trouble here, sept i can not get the drivers to install, my FC6 is basicaly a fresh install,

i have tryied to download all the stated files:

Note: The following 32 bit packages must be installed in order for 64 bit drivers to install and work properly:
    XFree86-Mesa-libGL
    libstdc++
    libgcc
    XFree86-libs
    fontconfig
    expat
    freetype
    zlib

but i just get error saying for example that he current one are latter then the one i and trying to install.

is there a way you see in libexpat.so.1 is installed and im sure it is and the os/yum or what ever is not seeing it,

any suggestiong/link to read will help this onl n00b

Just Joined!
    If your system has the same video card, I don't think I can help. FC 6 automatically installed the drivers I needed to display everything properly, all worked out of the box.