Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi , i have installed Fedora Core 6 and i want to have the complete instructions to make my Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11B/G Wireless Lan Controller working !!! Thank you ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

BCM4306 802.11B/G Wifi instructions

hi , i have installed Fedora Core 6 and i want to have the complete instructions to make my Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11B/G Wireless Lan Controller working !!!

Thank you Guys

If you're interested in testing and debugging the free driver that's under development, have a look at the bcm43xx Web site. Installation can be tricky, since it's a kernel module that's often not built by default. You can check whether your kernel has the module available with this command (run as root):
    Code:
    modprobe bcm43xx
    If you get an error about "Module bcm43xx not found" then the module wasn't built for your kernel. You could build it yourself, but that can be a hassle, what with acquiring kernel source, build tools, altering your current kernel config, and calling the right commands to just build modules (which will build ALL modules, not just the one you need, and that takes a boatload of time).
    On the other hand, if there's no error, then the module presumably exists and loaded correctly. You can verify it with this command:
    Code:
    lsmod | grep bcm
    That should show a line containing the bcm43xx module, which indicates that the module is loaded. All you have to do at that point is run iwconfig (as root) to see which network device is tied to the BCM4306 (it'll be the only one with wireless extensions), and set up that device to connect to your network. The GUI network tools for Fedora can probably identify the device for you, and will also be the easiest way to connect it to the network.

The other option is to use ndiswrapper, which is usually easier to install, gives you a bit more range (i.e., distance from the AP), and is less buggy at this point. On the downside, some functions of the wireless card can't be used with ndiswrapper, such as monitor mode. If you don't know why you'd want monitor mode, don't worry--you don't need it. Also, the NetworkMonitor program doesn't play well with ndiswrapper (if at all). If you're using NetworkMonitor to move easily between wireless networks, you may find you need to use the open-source bcm43xx driver.
    The ndiswrapper wiki at SourceForge has Fedora-specific installation instructions. I hope those are adequate! As always, yell back here if you get stuck.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Just Joined!
    when i wrote modprobe bcm43xx i got no answer so maybe it's been found

after i wrote lsmod | grep bcm
    then i got this answer

bcm43xx 425153 0
    ieee80211softmac 37313 1 bcm43xxx
    ieee80211 34953 2 bcm43xxx,ieee80211softmac

then i wrote iwconfig
    i got

lo no wireless extensions

eth1 IEEE 802.11b/g essid:off/any Nickname:''localhost.localdomain''
    mode :Managed Frequency=2.412 GHZ Acces Point : Invalid
    Bit Rate=1Mb/s
    RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
    Encryption Key : off
    Link Quality:0 Signal Level:0 Noise Level:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalide misc:0 Missed beacon:0

sit0 no wireless extenssions.

Then what i must do to connect to my router ?

Linux Newbie
    Bcm4306 fully supported but you need firware installed to make it work. Link Zelmo gave has more info and/or search for fedora + bcm43xx-fwcutter tool
    Elive,kanotix-mini,pclinuxos super gamer,xp, sidux