Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I've setup a FC6 box as a samba fileserver, but it hang unexpectedly few times a day. How and where can i find the log file or trace ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question how to trace system crash?

Hi all,

I've setup a FC6 box as a samba fileserver, but it hang unexpectedly few times a day.

How and where can i find the log file or trace the problem??

Thanks.

A good place to start would be /var/log/messages for anything unusual before the time the hang occurred. Post any relevant snippets here.

What happens when it "hangs"? Is the machine totally unresponsive and you have to cold boot it?

Just Joined!
    I've check /var/log/messages, but it doesn't show anything unusual... when it hangs, the only thing is to pressing the reset button on the CPU. sometimes it hang when XP clients doing some file transfer... sometimes it hang when trying to close Xwindow(Ctrl+alt+backspace)..

Thanks for reply..

Linux User
    You may want to try an yum update too.
    Then reboot it after it is done.
    Good Luck,
    Ski
    RHCT

One possible cause of random hangs is bad memory. Using something like memtest86+ you can test the RAM. (That website provides a bootable iso file. It's a good tool to have handy.)

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by anomie
    One possible cause of random hangs is bad memory. Using something like memtest86+ you can test the RAM. (That website provides a bootable iso file. It's a good tool to have handy.)
    The pc have no problem when using XP.. so i don't think is ram problem.. some more the mainboard have onboard memtest86, and it doesn't show any problem when i check 1 1/2 month before..

Does the numlock light flash if you hit num lock?