Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I got fedora core 4 along with windows XP and 98 after i install fedora the other two seems not to work so thought to uninstall fedora so how to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual boot

I got fedora core 4 along with windows XP and 98 after i install fedora the other two seems not to work so thought to uninstall fedora so how to get that done?

You say the win 98/xp don't work. How? Do they not boot?
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Linux Newbie
    You can just edit /boot/grub/grub.conf of Fedora to boot Win9x. XP's NTLDR, which should reside in the "c" drive of Win9x, should be then available to boot both MS systems.

Under the normal circumstance that you install Win9x first, Xp second and fedora third your Win9x should be in the first partition of the first bootable disk, which will be known to Grub as (hd0,0). Thus these additional lines in /boot/grub/grub.conf will fire them up
    Code:
    title My Win98 in 1st partition of 1st disk
    root (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    You can actually try to boot Win98 manually by pressing the "c" key immideiately after the Grub screen appears. You will be given a Grub prompt and talking to Grub interactively. Try the above command but omitting the "title" statement and ending it with a "boot" statement like this
    Code:
    root (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    boot
    Win9x will fire up with Windows own multi-boot screen.

Fedora has Grub and Grub can boot every PC system so no need to un-install Fedora.

If you must remove Fedora you do so by overwriting Grub and restoring MS's MBR. This can be done by a Dos floppy or XP's installation CD. Task B1 and B2 of this thread has the all the details. Thereafter you can use XP's disk management program to delete the Fedora's partitions.

Quote Originally Posted by lavender
    I got fedora core 4 along with windows XP and 98 after i install fedora the other two seems not to work so thought to uninstall fedora so how to get that done?
    hi lavender !!
    Welcome to the LinuxForums.

if you want to keep Fedora and solve Dual boot problem, execute these commands in terminal/konsole and post output here.
    Code:
    su -
    fdisk -l
    less /boot/grub/grub.conf
    in case, you want to delete Fedora, boot up from Windows Installation CD, select 'Repair'. this will drop you on command prompt. execute 'fixmbr'.
    Windows will boot up now. execute 'diskmgmt.msc' in RUN dialog box. Disk Management Windows will pop up/ delete Fedora Partitions (unknown).

i would suggest you to keep Fedora (its a wonderful OS) and post output of those commands. its very easy to setup dual/multiboot.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

help

here what my grub looks like

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
    #
    # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
    # NOTICE: You do not have a /boot partition. This means that
    # all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
    # root (hd0,4)
    # kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hdc5
    # initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
    #boot=/dev/hdc
    default=0
    timeout=5
    splashimage=(hd0,4)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    #hiddenmenu

title Windows XP Professional
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

title Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.1369_FC4)
    root (hd0,4)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 ro root=LABEL=/
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.img

and this what my fdisk looks like

Disk /dev/hdc: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hdc1 * 1 2433 19543041 42 SFS
    /dev/hdc2 2434 9729 58605120 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/hdc5 2434 6081 29302528+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hdc6 6082 9728 29294496 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/hdc7 9729 9729 8001 42 SFS

and i know how windows cd is important but i dont have it i got the computer already configured with 98 and xp and I wanted to use fedora so i install it and i guess there were stuff become nuts

grub.conf is correct.
    execute this
    Code:
    less /boot/grub/device.map
    post output here.

Casper

Just Joined!

help

so this is the output of less /boot/grub/device.map

# this device map was generated by anaconda
    (fd0) /dev/fd0
    (hd0) /dev/hdc
    [END]

everything is correct and i checked your fdisk -l output. Windows partition are in SFS (Secure FileSystem) format. GRUB doesn't support it. ( Please correct me if i am wrong ). development version GRUB 1.91 has SFS support but i wont suggest you to use development version.

now, solution is, remove GRUB from MBR, install it in boot sector of boot partition and add an entry of it in Windows Boot Loader.

boot up from Windows Installation CD and select 'repair'. this will drop you on command line prompt. execute 'fixmbr' and reboot. Machine should boot up Windows now.
    if you want use Fedora Core, do post back. i will post next instruction for installing GRUB in boot sector and adding Fedora's entry in Windows Boot Loader.

Casper

Just Joined!

help

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    everything is correct and i checked your fdisk -l output. Windows partition are in SFS (Secure FileSystem) format. GRUB doesn't support it. ( Please correct me if i am wrong ). development version GRUB 1.91 has SFS support but i wont suggest you to use development version.

now, solution is, remove GRUB from MBR, install it in boot sector of boot partition and add an entry of it in Windows Boot Loader.

boot up from Windows Installation CD and select 'repair'. this will drop you on command line prompt. execute 'fixmbr' and reboot. Machine should boot up Windows now.
    if you want use Fedora Core, do post back. i will post next instruction for installing GRUB in boot sector and adding Fedora's entry in Windows Boot Loader.
    Casper
    So sorry for the stupidity but how i remove GRUB from MBR? and how to install it in the boot sector??
    one more thing, if i do this and that will i still have my files and stuff in windows??

dont worry, your data is safe.
    as i suggested earlier, boot up from Windows installation CD and select 'repair'. this will drop you on command line prompt. execute 'fixmbr' and reboot your machine.
    fixmbr will remove GRUB. setting up Windows Boot Loader is also very easy but we have clear GRUB first. check if machine boot up Windows now.

Casper

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast