Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I started my linux life recently with a copy of FC4 I had laying around. I got it up and running, started playing around with yum to update ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

vncserver connection doesn't work after FC5 Upgrade

Hi all,

I started my linux life recently with a copy of FC4 I had laying around. I got it up and running, started playing around with yum to update the software and got the vncserver service up and running so I could connect from my XP laptop from my living room. After several hours I got it configured over my local network, and I got it running with kde as the window manager.

I decided to upgrade to FC5, because I was informed that it was difficult to get the Sun Java compiler configured correctly in FC4. Maybe so, maybe not. I upgraded successfully and restarted the machine. Now, the vncserver service starts up automatically, but when I connect from my windows vnc client, all I get is a screen with a big "X" on the left hand side. It seems that kde is no longer starting up for the vncserver instance that auto-starts.

Any ideas on what would cause this, or how to fix it?

Just Joined!
    Here's the logfile generated:

Code:
    Xvnc Free Edition 4.1.1
    Copyright (C) 2002-2005 RealVNC Ltd.
    See http://www.realvnc.com for information on VNC.
    Underlying X server release 70000000, The X.Org Foundation

Sat Jan 20 15:55:28 2007
     vncext:      VNC extension running!
     vncext:      Listening for VNC connections on port 5901
     vncext:      Listening for HTTP connections on port 5801
     vncext:      created VNC server for screen 0
    Could not init font path element /usr/share/X11/fonts/TTF/, removing from list!
    Could not init font path element /usr/share/X11/fonts/OTF, removing from list!
    Could not init font path element /usr/share/X11/fonts/CID/, removing from list!
    xset:  bad font path element (#37), possible causes are:
        Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
        Directory missing fonts.dir
        Incorrect font server address or syntax
    startkde: Starting up...
    kbuildsycoca running...
    DCOP Cleaning up dead connections.
    Xlib:  extension "XFree86-Misc" missing on display ":1.0".
    server does not have extension for "r rate" option
    Server has no DPMS extension
    DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-3424' to 'kaccess'
    Klipper is already running!
    Xlib:  extension "DPMS" missing on display ":1.0".

Just Joined!
    I've replaced startkde with fluxbox as the window manager, and it works just fine. I did however, want to be able to interact with the full operating system.

From what I understand, FC5 contains a remote desktop, where you actually control the desktop of the computer you're connecting to. Is this related to why kde won't work as the window manager for vncserver now? Should I just give this up and try to configure the remote desktop?

Linux User
    First after you upgraded to FC5 did you reboot and then do a yum update too?
    Always do a yum update after a upgrade or have a cronjob do it daily.
    Then check what kernel version you are running and if it isn't the same that is in the grub.conf file then reboot.

You can run a remote desktop of windows on your Linux box, the command is "rdesktop" do a "man rdesktop" for more info.

But if you still want to try to use vncserver then in the home directory of the user that you started vncserver with "cd .vnc".
    Then vi xstartup or some editor you like, and read the comments and do wha it says. Save and exit.
    Kill your vncserver session and restart it.

vncserver -kill :1
    vnserver

Lets see what happens.
    Good Luck,
    Ski
    RHCT

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply ski,

After the upgrade the first thing I did was run "yum update". Then I restarted the system. Until the restart (but after the upgrade) I was able continue to connect to the linux box from XP. After the restart it broke. I actually did try running yum update again, but there was nothing to update.

I'd really like to do this through vnc, but if it turns out to be too difficult a problem to figure out, I'll start investigating rdesktop. I've edited the xstartup file several times before the vncserver stopped working (I don't have access to the FC5 box right now, I'll post the contents later). It was working before as it was though, so I can't imagine what would have changed.

I've started and restarted the service many times since it stopped working. When it starts off of the system I get one output in the logfile. When I stop and restart, the logfile is much larger, but almost every line is a comment stating that the Xlib extension "DPMS" is missing. I believe that this is to be expected, and may not be a cause of the problem.

My instinct (although it's not worth much outside of the windows world) is that the reason this is failing is directly related to KDE more than vnc. Only because I can access the server just fine if I use twm or fluxbox as my window manager instead startkde.

Thanks for the assistance, and I'll post my xstartup file, along with the vncservers file (from /etc/sysconfig/), and the vncserver logs if you want to see more of them (it's most of the same that I already posted).

Linux Enthusiast
    have you tried gnome?
    in xstartup, use
    Code:
    gnome-session &
    then restart vncserver
    Code:
    killall Xvnc
    vncserver

Linux Newbie
    I use Fedora Core 6. Fresh install... I use VNC with KDE to access this machine as well. However, for me its working fine. I compared the output of ur vncserver log file with mine. The only line that seems to be extra in your case is the following one:

DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-3424' to 'kaccess'

I would say look for this to be the cause of your trouble. Did u try removing the entire ~/.kde/ directory (actually just rename it.. dont remove it) and let kde create a fresh one when restarted.