Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I am new to linux and I am having trouble configuring Fedora Core 6 with Windows XP Pro. I have two hard drives: hda - Windows XP only hdb ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question grub.conf/menu.ls missing...

Hi,

I am new to linux and I am having trouble configuring Fedora Core 6 with Windows XP Pro.

I have two hard drives:

hda - Windows XP only
    hdb - "partly" installed FC6

Whilst installing FC6 - it asked whether I would like to install the boot loader onto hda, since I didnt want to mess up my existing windows installation i opted not to install it.

Having gone through loads of sites on dual booting I finally found a solution, or so I thought.

I did grub-install on dev/hdb. I was then going to add windows to the list of oses, i.e. update menu.ls or grub.conf, but couldnt find any of these. I looked everywhere.

I was then going to copy the boot folder over to a floppy disk and add a couple of lines to the boot.ini file in windows.

I have even tried su (root user) but still cudnt see it.

If anyone can help, or point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
    RV

Did you try booting with CD1 or the DVD to get rescue mode?
    Glenn
    Powered by Fedora

check /boot/grub folder.
    Code:
    ls -a /boot/grub

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thanks for replying guys,

I booted from the DVD.

I tried
    ls -a /boot/grub

and found nothing...

I've been staring at a prompt for nearly three days now...

I would be grateful for any help. Thanks.

post the output 'ls /boot'. is there any other file in /boot/grub folder? doest it very exist in /boot?

Casper

Just Joined!
    ls /boot shows:

System.map-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6
    config-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6
    grub
    initrd-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.img
    lost+found
    symvers-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.gz
    vmlinux-2.16.18-1.2798.fc6

in the grub directory there is:
    Device.map
    +other files, which i cant remember, but no grub.conf or menu.ls/menu.lst

Thanks.

okk ! we can create a new grub.conf file and install GRUB for dual boot setup.
    plug-in Fedora Harddisk as Primary Master and Windows Harddisk as Secondary (slave). execute this
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    less /boot/grub/device.map
    post output here.

Casper

Just Joined!

Smile How to use bootpart!! (boot.ini duel boot xp with linux fedora 6)

The first thing to do is to boot windows xp. Download bootpart, unzip the contents and place into a new folder titled "bootpart"' (without the quotes) in the C: directory.

Simply place the new bootpart folder in your c drive

NEXT open the command prompt box (start>All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt> and type:

cd C:\bootpart (hit the enter button)

the screen will look like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Johnny>cd:\bootpart

C:\bootpart>

NOW you want to use bootpart to add fedora 6 or some other Linux distributions to your boot.ini fille so you can enable grub to boot linux.

First you need to determine the number of your \boot partition for Linux. NOTE zero refers to the 1st partition of your hard disk. In my case, windows C: drive is the second partition which is really the 1st partition as far as grub is concerned. For GRUB hd0 is the first partition. You need to get the partition number right.

Now at the prompt C:\bootpart> type: (see command below)

bootpart 0 C:\BOOTLINX.BIN Linux Fedora Core 6

Simply hit the enter button and wait for the command to complete. reboot and you should now be able to boot into grub.

in my opinion the best way to go is to install grub on the MBR. its much easier and more practical as i have never been able reinstall windows x86 without reformatting the \boot partition. windows just won't install for me on the 3 computers i have tried. however windows 64 can be reinstalled without deleting the /boot partition. i spent a lot of time on this and came to the conclusion that once windows is working well use LINUX for most of your activities and use windows when its only really necessary. i think windows corrupts very quickly (requiring a clean re-installation) especially if one has not worked out a very good combination of programs with excellent protection.

LINUX is the way to go as it just keeps going and actually gets better with the yum updates. Fedora 6 has given me no problems at all while browsing the net!! Linux frees your mind!! i can email my fedora 6 guide if you want on how to get a working system up and running.

cheers johnny

hi johnny !

you are method is not going to work because Thread Starter didn't install GRUB in boot sector of boot or root partition and you posted wrong commands.

i would never suggest anyone to use Windows Boot Loader. there are a few exceptions though.
    GRUB works perfectly.

even if you want to use Windows Boot Loader only, then check here. you must have installed GRUB in boot sector of /boot partition. if you didn;t create /boot partition, then it should be installed in boot sector of / (root) partition.

Casper

Just Joined!

Smile hi

Hi Casper! i read your info on bootpart! what i did worked for me because i installed GRUB on the boot/ partition for fedora 6 as suggested in the fedora setup rather than the default setup where grub is installed on the MBR. My commands worked for that situation. however later i could not see the point in installing grub anywhere else but on the MBR. The default installation works the best for newbies like myself. if it was me i would just reinstall fedora using the default settings as windows works fine that way. cheers johnny

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast