Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I recently got a Dell Inspiron 1501 and want to install Linux on it. The issue is that when Istart the fedora installer and come to the screen were ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Fedora Core 6 Install Problems

Hi,

I recently got a Dell Inspiron 1501 and want to install Linux on it. The issue is that when Istart the fedora installer and come to the screen were I choose witch hard drives to install Linux on, and when i arrive to that screen there are no options for me to choose from. I am assuming that fedora does not have a driver for my hard drive. Does anyone know if there's anything i can do to get around this?

Thanks

hi TheHeartOfAHero !

Welcome to the LinuxForums.

type 'linux expert' at boot: prompt and Fedora Installer will load all the drivers. it will recognize your harddisk.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Hi,

I gave that a shot, but doing so diddnt get me any further. Thanks for the effort though. Got any other ideas? I really want to get this working.

Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Leave it to Dell. haha.

When you get to the Choose which HD to install to screen, the WHOLE thing is blank?

Does the harddisk have any other OS on it that you know functions?

Yes the whole thing is blank. Right now I have the Laptop running XP Media Center. The HD came stock with a 50 gig NTFS partition with Media Center on it, and there is a Small 5 Gig fat32 partition on the HD. I am not sure but i believe that the hard drive may be a hybrid drive but i am not to sure. That would explain the odd default partition.

Thanks Alot for your help guys.

Problem Fixed!

I was able to repair the issue buy typing the following command in the boot prompt.

pci=nomsi
    Next Up I have to figure out how to get the wireless utillty working, if anybody knows how to set up a wireless connection on a dell laptop please post here.

Thanks Guys

Just Joined!
    Oh brother. Dell. I used to have an Inspiron 8100 (Pretty much the great-great-great grand-daddy of what you have.) Is your card integrated? And do you know the maker/chipset? Any info you have will help. I'm a bit of a newbie with Fedora, but I have expirience with installing troublesome cards on Back|Track.

Quote Originally Posted by Reformat
    Oh brother. Dell. I used to have an Inspiron 8100 (Pretty much the great-great-great grand-daddy of what you have.) Is your card integrated? And do you know the maker/chipset? Any info you have will help. I'm a bit of a newbie with Fedora, but I have expirience with installing troublesome cards on Back|Track.
    The Wireless Card is intergrated. The Card I Have is A Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card. I do not know what chip set i have, I have an AMD Processor, So i image the maker is AMD.

Thanks For Your Help

Just Joined!

Perhaps Help?

I am currently running Ubuntu on a Dell Inspiron 1501. I had the exact same problems you are referring to and found a nice guide at http://ubuntu1501.blogspot.com . I don't know if it will work on Fedora or not but the guide fixed the wireless on Ubuntu using ndiswrapper and a specific driver from Dell (I recommend using the one the guide references. I tried finding a more "specific" one and it didn't work).

Good luck.