Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
first of all remove GRUB from MBR of Windows Harddisk. boot up from Windows Installation CD, select 'repair' and execute 'fixmbr'. this will remove GRUB. * if you want to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

first of all remove GRUB from MBR of Windows Harddisk. boot up from Windows Installation CD, select 'repair' and execute 'fixmbr'. this will remove GRUB.

* if you want to keep Red Hat only, no need to re-install. edit grub.conf and device.map files and re-install GRUB in MBR of RedHat Harddisk. i will post instructions for that if you want to keep RedHat only.
    * if you want to install Fedora Core, install it over existing Linux Partitions and dont change anything in Boot Loader section. dont forget to un-plug Windows Harddisk during Linux installation. check this Link for Fedora.

Now, after successful Fedora installation OR editing files of Redhat, check this link to add Windows entry in GRUB.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Smile

ok. i'll try it thank you for your patience and for spendin your time for e.i'll lest u know.

Ps:how do you manage to know all those things?

Just Joined!
    Casper!!!

I did everything to the tiniest details.I set the linux drive as primary ,unplug the windows drive,reinstall RH9 once again no problem about installation.even without pluging my Xp drive i have kernel panic attempted to kill init at start up.I got angry.i've had a Ubuntu 6.06 desktop cd and i installed it over RH partition and it working.i edit the grub menu and devive.map as u said.It working.I'll work on it for a while and then install the fedora core 6.

Why on the grub menu you don't add boot at the end of chainloader +1?
    is it normal to press esc before seeing the menu or it is because i didn't put boot?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Well Done !

Why on the grub menu you don't add boot at the end of chainloader +1?
    chainloader +1 doesn't need boot option.
    is it normal to press esc before seeing the menu or it is because i didn't put boot?
    GRUB menu is hidden by default.
    open menu.lst file and look for line 'hiddenmenu'. put # sign before it. save file and reboot. GRUB menu will appear now.

Casper

Just Joined!
    Ok thanks for everything.you appear to be off.but you do reply quite immediately

actually i am an invisible ghost !!
    enjoy linux !!

Casper

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2