Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Linksys WMP54G - Wireless-G PCI Adapter

Hey All,

I got Fedora installed perfectly, no probs, yet when i go to connect - using a Linksys WMP54G - Wireless-G PCI Adapter it wont detect or get an IP address so i thought, i know i will try and bridge a connection with my laptop which is also connected via wireless, via a Ethernet cable but that to i couldn't seem to grasp ether. I know when i used Mandriva and Knoppix they both were able to pick up the my wireless card.

Any help or advice in this situation would be most appreciated. Thanks,

Stu

Well knoppix uses ndiswrapper and madwifi.....so I would bet you need one or the other. Type this command as root in a terminal/konsole:
    /sbin/lspci
    Post the output back here and let's see which chipset you've got.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 755 Host (rev 01)

00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SG86C202

00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS964 [MuTIOL Media IO] (rev 36)

00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE] (rev 01)

00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Sound Controller (rev a0)

00:03.0 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0 Controller (rev 0f)

00:03.1 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0 Controller (rev 0f)

00:03.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0 Controller (rev 0f)

00:03.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 2.0 Controller

00:05.0 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] RAID bus controller 180 SATA/PATA [SiS] (rev 01)

00:0b.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)

00:0c.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)

00:0d.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394 Host Controller (rev 80)

00:0e.0 RAID bus controller: Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 3112 [SATALink/SATARaid] Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)

00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration

00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map

00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller

00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] (rev b2)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You have a broadcom 4316 and you'll need ndiswrapper to make it work. If you have a working Internet connection to your machine, you can use yum to install it.
    yum install ndiswrapper
    Other than that, you'll have to download it and compile it. See here
    http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

I've got the exact same situation as stuaz. I've used ndiswrapper and 1st installed the drivers from my CD, then I got wind of an alternate driver and tried that too. I see a failure message on my card (I'm using eth1) on startup and Network Configuration gives me "Determining IP information for eth1... failed, no link present. Check cable?"

I haven't messed with linux since finishing grad school, 10+ years ago when wireless was exotic stuff, so consider me a newbee again...

Did you enter your connection settings? WEP key, Channel and ESSID?
    About all I can tell you is to check the documentation from the website, I don't use ndiswrapper myself.
    http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/m...roubleshooting

Quote Originally Posted by tuliniemi
    I've got the exact same situation as stuaz. I've used ndiswrapper and 1st installed the drivers from my CD, then I got wind of an alternate driver and tried that too. I see a failure message on my card (I'm using eth1) on startup and Network Configuration gives me "Determining IP information for eth1... failed, no link present. Check cable?"

I haven't messed with linux since finishing grad school, 10+ years ago when wireless was exotic stuff, so consider me a newbee again...

Thats the exact error i get.

Quote Originally Posted by tuliniemi

When i try to run the ndiswrapper now, it says command not found, yet i installed it to the instructions on the Website?

How would one go about disabling 'stack size', and recomplieing and installing the kernal??

When you login as root, are you using the su - command? (include the hyhen - )
    If not, that could be why you're getting the "command not found error".
    As far as recompiling your kernel, you can look here or download a precompiled kernel with 16K stack size from here.
    EDIT: Check here too for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob
    When you login as root, are you using the su - command? (include the hyhen - )
    If not, that could be why you're getting the "command not found error".
    As far as recompiling your kernel, you can look here or download a precompiled kernel with 16K stack size from here.
    EDIT: Check here too for more info.
    I just use 'su', whats the differnece between that and 'su -' ?