Find the answer to your Linux question:
i am unable to see the console in FC4. When i press Ctrl + Alt + F1 it gives blank screen.What is the problem ?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cant see console in FC4

i am unable to see the console in FC4. When i press Ctrl + Alt + F1 it gives blank screen.What is the problem ?

Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar
    The primary gcc 4.x compiler that was shipped in Fedora Core 4, contained a bug in the optimizer which caused the X libvgahw.a module to be mis-compiled. This caused various users to experience video problems like you mentioned. Later Fedora people found the bug and corrected it. People have tried to get updates from them and have installed them. But it has been reported that the problem is still there. Well then here goes the brute-force method. Get this file libvgawh.a from my site and replace the miscompiled ones on your computer. To replace you will need the root access. Issue these commands as root on a terminal:
    Code:
    root@mybox : ~ mv /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a.crap
    root@mybox : ~ cp <location of the downloaded libvgahw.a> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
    root@mybox : ~ chmod 444 /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
    root@mybox : ~ chown root:root /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a

I would recommend you to go for Fedora Core 5/6 if your system specs are fine. FC4 (although the finest Fedora I have seen, is a bit old now).
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

Just Joined!
    Try updating the kernel. 2.6.17.-1 works fine. Though, if the problem persists, try pressing Esc key after using Alt+Ctrl+F1 combination. This somehow returns you to command line invitation ( in my case it really did )

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close