Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hi, I have compaq presario desktop PC with 40GB harddisk..My system intially came with linux operating system..But i formatted the disk and installed windows XP.Now iam trying to install fedora ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red face system restarting during installation

hi,
    I have compaq presario desktop PC with 40GB harddisk..My system intially came with linux operating system..But i formatted the disk and installed windows XP.Now iam trying to install fedora 1 or fedora 5...
    1.Whether the initial old partion for linux will remain in the harddisk can i retrive that old linux....
    2.If it is not possible to retrive that linux....When i try to install a fresh copy of fedora in my system whhich has already windows xp installed in it
    a)iam not able to install linux....When CD boots and bring up the graphical user interface....I just typed enter(one of the options to install)But two lines appear and the system suddenlt restarts and once again the same GUI interface comes...
    b)I have given every possible option linux text<enter > and all other options....But everytime the two lines appears (ie)starting imirtd.img............)and suddenly system restarts....
    Please give me a solution.....

hi rohit_linux !

Welcome to the LinuxForums.
    1.Whether the initial old partion for linux will remain in the harddisk can i retrive that old linux....
    you wrote that you formatted harddisk. you can't retrieve earlier installation now.
    b)I have given every possible option linux text<enter > and all other options....But everytime the two lines appears (ie)starting imirtd.img............)and suddenly system restarts....
    it seems bad burn. did you verfiy installation CDs? you should burn CDs at lowest possible speed.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Unhappy system restarting during installation

hi,
    The CD's which iam using are original CD's of Fedora....I didn't burn it...I received in IT exhibition in bangalore ....For your information i have used my friend's Fedora through which he has installed the linux on his PC....So i think CD's will not be the problem....Please give me better solution now.....

which graphics card do you have? did you try 'linux expert' option at boot: prompt.

Casper

Linux User
    You did make free space on the disk before trying to install Linux?
    Good Luck,
    Ski
    RHCT

Just Joined!

old linux partition

hi,
    As i have said earlier.My system came initially with linux.But i formatted the disk and installed windows xp.I thought fedora will automatically..revert that old linux partion and install fedora linux on that old linux partition...I think i will be wrong....so...

1.How should i create space or partition for installing linux...(remember i already have winXP..I cant format my disk..)Is there anyway around...

2.How to use linux expert....There is no options like this in the fedora...There only F1,F2,F9.....and other options...I didn't find any expert options...
    Can you please tell me in detail(newbie to linux) about that expert mode....

3.Regarding the graphics card....Since my system already had linux...(turbolinux)i think graphics card driver will not be a problem.....
    4.But if you want you can have a look at my systems specification....at this site...
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...0&lang=en#N746

1.How should i create space or partition for installing linux...(remember i already have winXP..I cant format my disk..)Is there anyway around...
    no need to format/re-install windows. download GParted LiveCD, boot from it, shrink/resize partitions and create free space for Fedora. check this link.

2.How to use linux expert....There is no options like this in the fedora...There only F1,F2,F9.....and other options...I didn't find any expert options...
    Can you please tell me in detail(newbie to linux) about that expert mode....
    type 'linux expert' at boot: prompt. does it throw any error?

Casper

Just Joined!

Unhappy gpart does not boot

hi ,
    As you have said i have downloaded that partition tool and burnt that .iso image in a seperate disk(CD).But the CD is not able to boot the system...to partition the disk...When i insert the disk in my CD rom and restart my PC...My PC boots directly to the windows(XP)...I could not do anything with that tool in the CD...I have also set the first boot device as CD rom....
    The files in the CD are....
    1.GPARTED
    2.ISOLINUX folder
    Inside the folder
    a.BOOT
    b.BOOT
    c.INITRD
    d.ISOLINUX
    e.ISOLINUX.CFG
    f.LINUX
    g.SPLASH.LSS
    when i type linux expert...The message i get is
    Loading vmlinux.....
    loading initrd.img.....Thats all....My system restarts once again and comes to the same boot prompt of linux...
    Whatever options i give...This is the funda.... happening....
    Pls give me a solution......

did you extract GParted .iso image? dont extract it. Select "Burn Image to Disc" in Nero and select Gparted .iso file.
    post your machine's specs. MotherBoard, RAM and Processor etc.

Casper

Just Joined!

still problem exists...

hi,
    I dont know how to extract the iso image....But according to your advice i have burnt that iso image by selecting it through nero....But my system is not able to boot with that CD...My PC directly goes inside winXP...And when i see that Burnt CD...It shows the same files....No difference from the previous burnt Disc...Please tell me what should i see inside the CD....The same iso image which i have burnt from the hard disk...or these listed files....
    1.GPARTED
    2.ISOLINUX (folder)
    Inside the folder
    a.BOOT
    b.BOOT
    c.INITRD
    d.ISOLINUX
    e.ISOLINUX.CFG
    f.LINUX
    g.SPLASH.LSS
    or any files missing?????? I have made the CD rom as the first boot device...also....
    I think my system hardware will be compatible with linux....B'cos i had turbolinux before....anyway here is my details....
    This information is given by compaq....(company)
    1.processor:Intel(R)pentium(R)4CPU 2.80 GHZ.
    2.Motherboard Manufacturer's name - MSI MS-6577 v4.0 GL6E
    HP/Compaq name - Gamilia 2
    3.Chipset: 845GV
    This information is shown by my device manager...(winXP)
    4.Intel 82801DB PCI Bridge-244E
    5.Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV processor to I/O controller
    6.Intel 82845G/GL graphics controller
    7.256MB RAM PC2100 DDR
    you can have detailed information about my pc in this link.....
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...0&lang=en#N746
    Please let me know if you want any information other than this.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast