Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by WindowsAfterBirth how do i install my drivers if i burned them to cd? What format is the file? .bin or .run? If it's either of those you ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by WindowsAfterBirth
    how do i install my drivers if i burned them to cd?
    What format is the file? .bin or .run? If it's either of those you should be able to install them by navigating to the appropriate folder and executing
    Code:
    $sh your_graphics_driver.run
    You may need to be root to do that depending on the permissions. If they are in any other format, check out this thread.

the file is in .run format

that link is very informative but my network card isnt installed either. which one should i intall first, network or video card?

Let's tackle one problem at a time and get your graphics driver up first. You won't need an internet connection to do that if you have it burnt to a CD. Try copying it to your Desktop and then executing the command I gave you. What happens?

i dont have a desktop. i can only boot in text mode. i've tried to install from the cd but i cant. i'm not sure if i can access my cd drive. i dont think its mounted anywhere.

Your CD-ROM is probably located at /dev/hdc or something along those lines but in Fedora, it's probably mounted in /media/name_of_CD. Try navigating to that directory and running these commands:
    Code:
    $cp -r * ~/Desktop
    $cd ~/Desktop/
    From there, you can install the driver.

while logged in as root i tried the commands u said. it said file or directory doesnt exist.

my opinion is that my system is too new. all my parts r very new and i think linux dont like that, but i'm not giving up. willing to do what it takes to get into the next gen of OS's.

Try executing them as a regular user. ~/Desktop is shorthand for /home/username/Desktop so it won't work for root.

i think thats a totally different issue. i didnt have a chance to create another user account. the only account on my linux install is the root account. i tried creating a account but i couldnt give it a pw.

i'm all screwed up!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2