Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I need to install Fedora 3 (for some software compatibility). My machine is Dell E520 with Samsung SP2504c SATA HDD. (Chipset is Intel 82801 ICH8 family) The install DVD ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Fedora 3 install with SATA?

Hi,
    I need to install Fedora 3 (for some software compatibility). My machine is Dell E520 with Samsung SP2504c SATA HDD. (Chipset is Intel 82801 ICH8 family)

The install DVD cannot recognize my HDD. I selected preloaded device driver like "ata_piix, "ahci", or "sata_sil", but none of them let me pass that screen.

I also tried to install FC 6 then compile 2.6.10 kernel with depmod check. But when boot with 2.6.10 kernel, /root mount fails -> SATA is not recognized

My BIOS is dummy that I can only turn on and off SATA but cannot change its mode of operation.

Help!

Have you tried updating your bios?
    Have you tried passing any options to the kernel on bootup?
    boot: linux expert noprobe noacpi
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!

Exclamation

Hi Mike,
    I did not update the BIOS. My current BIOS is the latest one available already. Unfortunately, it does not allow you to switch between PATA and SATA mode.

I tried your "linux expert noprobe noacpi" command and it freeze my install DVD. Most likely because the DVD drive is also SATA.

I also installed FC3 on that SATA disk from a another machine then plugged back the SATA disk to this machine. When it boot up, here is the error:
    :
    :
    Red Hat nas version 5.1.19.0.2 starting
    input.c: calling hotplug without a hotpluc agent defined
    mount: could not find fielsystem "/dev/root"
    setuproot: moving /dev failed: no such file or directory
    setuproot: error mounting /proc: no such file or directory
    setuproot: errot mounting /sys: no such file or directory
    switchroot: mount failed: no such file or directory kernel panic: - not syncing: attempted to kill init

Do you have another suggestion?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Fedora 3 is kinda old, is there any way to upgrade to FC6? It has a lot more drivers and support for newer hardware.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.