Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to create a tar ball for some directory (say; abc). However, while tyring to redo the operation multiple times, the tar file (.tgz) generated is of different ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

tar ball file size is different

I am trying to create a tar ball for some directory (say; abc). However, while tyring to redo the operation multiple times, the tar file (.tgz) generated is of different size. The contents are exactly same. The distro is same.

For Example:
    # tar czvif abc.tgz abc
    # ls -ltr abc.tgz
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7707122 Jan 31 09:02 abc.tgz
    And from some other directory.
    # tar czvif abc.tgz abc
    # ls -ltr abc.tgz
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7707129 Jan 31 09:02 abc.tgz

WHY the byte size difference ? Any solution, or help ?

If I understand you correctly, it is because the way you are tarring the file, the absolute pathname is being stored. This will cause a difference in tar ball size depending on where you do the tarring from.

Just Joined!
    My absolute path name is same : /data/temp/
    Any other paramter on which this might be dependent ?

If the file contents are the same, then it is most definitely because of the path. Simple tests can show you this.

Just Joined!
    1. cd /data
    2 mkdir abc
    3 cd abc
    4 touch abc.txt
    5 cd ..
    6 tar czvif abc.tgz abc
    7 ls -ltr
    OUTPUT : -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 141 Sep 30 19:45 abc.tgz
    8 rm -rf abc*
    9 mkdir abc
    10 cd abc
    11 touch abc.txt
    12 cd ..
    13 tar czvif abc.tgz abc
    14 ls -ltr
    OUTPUT : -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 142 Sep 30 19:47 abc.tgz

Fragmentation possibly? Can I ask why this is bothering you so much?

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.

I ran a set commands based on those from your post, and I got identical lengths.

Is this a current test? It looks like the output is quite old -- Sep 30 ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

Just Joined!
    Well. Lets not worry about dates. That was my system date as set to something Sep...
    Why I want to do this ?
    -- I would like to distribute some software on a flash drive. While my scripts perform copy and tar (compression / extraction) the size of the files created on flash drive is different. This poses a problem indicating that if file sizes are different then the software may be different.
    Moreover, I think there must be a way out (which I do'nt know) to get an exact copy (memory wise). So if the file sizes are different then the md5sum's would also differ. I think I am looking out for correct OPTION for:
    (1) #cp OPTION
    (2) #tar OPTION while compression / extraction.

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi, bvinay.

I'd guess that the flash drive uses a filesystem different from your hard drive. If that's correct, then there likely is a difference.

I recommend that you think in terms of using the flash drive only as a carrier, that you create the tar files on your hard disk, copy them to the flash drive, and provide instructions to your users to copy from the flash drive to a hard drive before extraction with tar ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )